Southwest Tofu Scramble
Start your day with this delicious southwest tofu scramble. It’s so flavorful you’ll never know its completely plant-based. The combination of spices and veggies tastes great with the super firm tofu and bean mixture. After you have this tofu scramble, you’ll feel energized and ready to power through your day. It’s totally satisfying and incredibly easy to pull together. If you have one pan and loads of veggies you’re in luck!
I was able to get 3 medium sized burritos out of this recipe. What’s great, is that you can make these ahead and store any extra tofu scramble mixture covered in the refrigerator for the next day or two.
Feel free to get creative with this delicious southwest tofu scramble too. If you are not full vegan, you can add some shredded cheddar cheese. This will make the recipe vegetarian. However, you can add anything you like. Red bell peppers, black beans or roasted sweet potatoes would all taste great in the recipe too. I enjoyed this scramble so much I had two burritos. It really is just that good. So, give this tasty vegan recipe a try.
Southwest Tofu Scramble
- 8 ounces super firm tofu , drain off the liquid and press out the moisture using a paper towel
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter , I used earth balance
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Few turns cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1 can ranchero chili beans , 15 ounces rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- fresh jalapeno, sliced
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- 2-3 tortillas , toasted or warmed
- 9 inch cast-iron skillet
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Gently spray it with cooking spray and add one tablespoon vegan butter.
- Add the prepared super firm tofu and break it up like you would break up ground beef. I used a spatula.
- Once the tofu is broken up into smaller pieces add the spices and onions.
- Spices include, turmeric, dry mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Simmer everything together until the tofu begins to get slightly crispy and the onions are soft.
- Next, you’ll rinse and drain the beans and add them to the skillet with the tofu scramble.
- Toss everything together until the beans are heated through.
- Remove the cast iron from the heat and top everything with your favorite garnishes.
- I used cherry tomatoes, avocado, jalapeno, and chopped fresh cilantro.
- Add the tofu scramble mixture to a heated tortilla and enjoy.