Southwest Tofu Scramble
Start your day with this delicious southwest tofu scramble recipe. It’s so flavorful you’ll never know its completely plant-based. The combination of spices and veggies tastes great with the super firm tofu bean mixture. After you have this tofu scramble, you’ll feel energized and ready to power through your day. It’s totally satisfying and incredibly easy to pull together. If you have one pan and loads of veggies you’re in luck!
About this recipe
For this tofu scramble recipe, I used crumbled tofu and a variety of spices to emulate an egg scramble. Simply heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add the vegan butter. Once the butter is melted add the tofu and begin to crumble it using a spatula. You’ll want the tofu to be in small bite size crumbles. Similar to ground beef.
Next, you’ll add the spices and diced onion. Once the onion is soft and the tofu is crispy on the edges, you’ll add the drained and rinsed beans. Once the beans are heated through, turn off the heat and enjoy your tofu scramble however you desire.
I decided to make a few breakfast burritos out of my tofu scramble. I was able to get three medium-sized burritos out of this recipe. The burritos are perfect for days when you want a hot breakfast, fast. You can simply roll up a few breakfast burritos and enjoy them on the go.
Feel free to get creative with this delicious southwest tofu scramble too. If you are not fully vegan, you can add some shredded cheddar cheese. Adding the cheese will make the recipe vegetarian. However, you can add anything you like. Red bell peppers, black beans or roasted sweet potatoes would all taste great in the recipe too. I enjoyed this scramble so much I had two burritos. It really is just that good. So, give this tasty vegan recipe a try.
This tofu scramble makes 3 servings. The nutritional information does not include the tortillas, avocado, cherry tomatoes, jalapeno and cilantro. It simply represents the tofu scramble. Please see below for more information.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. Looking for more vegan breakfast ideas? Try my vegan egg muffins or my vegan banana oat pancakes. They might be the fluffiest pancakes of all time. Both recipes are easy to make and delicious.
Southwest Tofu Scramble
- 1 tablespoon butter, Earth Balance
- 8 ounces super firm tofu, drain off the liquid and press out the moisture using a paper towel
- ⅓ cup onion , diced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can ranchero chili beans , 15 ounce can, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno, sliced or minced small
- ½ avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
- 3 corn tortillas , warmed
- 9 inch cast-iron skillet
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Gently spray it with cooking spray and add one tablespoon vegan butter.
- Add the prepared super firm tofu and break it up like you would break up using a spatula. Should resemble ground beef.
- Once the tofu is broken up, add the spices and diced onions. Spices include, turmeric, dry mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Saute everything together until the tofu begins to get slightly crispy and the onions are soft.
- Next, you’ll rinse and drain the beans and add them to the skillet with the tofu scramble.
- Toss everything together until the beans are heated through.
- Remove the cast iron from the heat and top everything with your favorite garnishes.