Meatballs have always been one of my favorite comfort foods. There’s something about biting into a small ball of tender meat that always gives me the food feels. But seeing how this month marks my four year anniversary of being meat free, I’ve come up with an amazing meat free recipe that does the job.
This recipe is a vegetarian’s dream. The shitake mushrooms and ground flaxseeds give these simple vegetarian meatballs a delicious earthy quality. While the moisture in the tofu prevents them from drying out. Mix in the other ingredients and this recipe makes the perfect veggie meatball. The texture and flavor of this recipe can’t be beat. And it’s a lot healthier than its meaty counterpart.
Over the years, I’ve tried a lot of bean based veggie meatballs, and honestly, they always seem so dry to me. Especially the day after, when you go to heat them up for a sandwich or veggie bowl. And instead of having a tasty, moist veggie meatball you end up with a broken, crumbly mess. This is precisely why I decided to substitute beans for creamy tofu. The tofu is the perfect binding agent for this dish and absorbs all of the delicious veggie flavors as it bakes.
So, let’s get started!
What You’ll Need – Makes 12 VegGIE Balls
½ Pack of Super firm tofu
½ Large onion
2-3 leafs of kale
1 tablespoon veggie stock
1-2 teaspoons of garlic paste
1 pack of shitake mushrooms
2 Tablespoons of ground flaxseed
¼ cup parmesan cheese
¾ cup of Italian bread crumbs
2 healthy shakes of Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions – Serves 4
- Preheat your oven to 375
- Grab a large sauté pan from your pantry. Coat the pan with olive oil. Finely dice your onions, mushrooms, and kale and add them to the pan. Mix in your garlic paste and veggie stock. Cook everything together on medium – high heat or until the veggies are soft.
- Grab your Cuisinart and add in the tofu. Be sure to drain off any excess liquid that might be in the tofu package before adding it to your Cuisinart. Blend the tofu until the texture is puree like.
- Remove the tofu from the Cuisinart and add it to a medium sized mixing bowl. Add in your parmesan cheese, flaxseed, bread crumbs and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the sauté pan from the heat. Allow the veggie mixture to cool. Once everything cools, combine your veggie mixture to the tofu mixture. Blend well and form veggie meatballs.
- Add olive oil to your sauté pan. Lightly brown the veggie balls on each side. 1-2 minutes per side. Once everything is browned you will finish baking these in the oven at 375 for 25 -30 minutes. Serve over pasta, or on a sandwich with red sauce!
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Welcome to Healthyish! I am so glad you’re here.
Together we will reinvent classic recipes and make them Healthyish.
Which means they’ll include light, healthy and clean ingredients that your body will crave (with the occasional ISH). I will also be sharing some fitness and self-care tips for beginners.
So, let’s get started!