Looking for a new way to enjoy your weeknight salmon? Give this delicious salmon chowder recipe a try! Unlike a traditional chowder that is thick and creamy, this version is light and silky. Plus, it is completely dairy free too! So, if you’re in the mood for a warm bowl of soup, and have some salmon on-hand, you have to whip up a warm batch of this chowder. It’s packed with flavor and so delicious.
For this recipe is used Scottish salmon but you can use any salmon you prefer. Also, I used a package of The Little Potato Company’s microwavable potatoes. They cook in 4-5 minutes and are perfectly tender on the inside. I simply sliced them in half and added them to the soup to help speed the cooking process. As a final note, if you’re not familiar with a slurry it is simply a combination of flour or cornstarch mixed with water to form a watery paste. This paste is what helps thicken the soup. I used a very small amount of slurry in this recipe, but if you want a thicker soup, simply add a little more. Just be careful, because a little can go a long way.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery , about 3 stalks
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill , extra as garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- 16.9 ounces Smart Chicken bone broth , I used pho chicken flavor but classic would work too
- 1 lb. mini potatoes , I used a package of the Little Potato Company micorwavable potatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut milk, makes sure it's mixed well
- 1 tablespoon lime juice , fresh squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water to form a slurry , simply mix with 2 tablespoons water and a 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch to for a cornstarch slurry- this thickens the soup
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10-12 ounces Scottish salmon , deboned
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- lime wedges
- jalapeno slices
- fresh dill
- mixing bowl
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat add the olive oil.
- Add the minced garlic, diced onion, sliced celery, fresh chopped dill, salt and pepper. Once the onions begin to sweat and brown, deglaze the pan with your Smart Chicken bone broth. Be sure to scrape up any extra bits from the bottom of the pan. These are loaded with flavor.
- Next, you'll cook the mini potatoes according to the package. You can also boil some potatoes until tender as well. Once the potatoes are fork tender, slice them in halves and add them to the soup.
- Next, you’ll add the coconut milk, fresh squeezed lime, and cornstarch slurry. Stir until well combined and simmer everything over low heat.
- Next, you’ll prepare the salmon.
- Debone the salmon and pat it dry with a paper towel.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, and garlic powder. Stir well and season the flesh side of the fish with the spice blend.
- In a separate skillet, over medium / high heat you’ll add the olive oil. Once the olive oil is hot, but not smoking add the seasoned salmon filet, flesh side down. Cook for 5-6 minutes to create a sear. Flip the fish and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the fish from the pan and place it on some paper towel skin side down. This will help absorb any excess oil.
- Using a fork, begin to flake the salmon meat and add it to the soup making sure to leave out the skin. You can break it into large or small pieces, whatever you prefer.
- Top with your preferred garnishes, I used, sliced jalapenos for some spice, fresh dill, lime wedges and scallions and it was incredible!
- Serve and enjoy!