This recipe has been one of my favorites for many years. It’s packed with veggies and loaded with flavor. Personally, I like the version that calls for cheese and butter, but you can make this recipe dairy free too. This sauce is so versatile it works well with pasta but also tastes great on top of baked chicken. So, give this Healthyish Sunday Sauce a try. You’ll be so glad you did!
*Also, keep this recipe in mind for Valentine’s day! It’s perfect for two people and looks beautiful on the table.
What You’ll Need – Serves 2
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1.5 Roated red pepper
½ Large onion or 1 small onion
4 Small cloves garlic
2 Large tomatoes
2 Tablespoons butter – (optional)
1.5 Cups chicken stock
½ cup salted pasta water
salt and pepper to taste
½ cup parmesan cheese – (optional)
red pepper flakes – (optional)
Habanero pepper – (optional)
- Grab a medium-sized saute pan. Oil your pan and add saute red peppers, onion, garlic, tomatoes, and one slice of the habanero pepper. Be sure to only use a small slice of the habanero pepper because they are extremely hot. If you prefer, you can leave it out. Also, do not worry about how you cut these ingredients, as they are all going in the Vitamix. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate pot, boil water and add a generous amount of table salt. Cook 4oz of Farfalle pasta per the instructions on the box. Be sure to cook it al-dente, otherwise the pasta will get mushy when it bakes in the oven. Reserve a ½ cup of the salted pasta water for your sauce.
- Once the veggies are lightly browned, add the chicken stock, butter, and salted pasta water. Let sit over medium heat for 5 – 7 minutes.
- From there, you will carefully add all of the ingredients into the Vitamix; pouring the liquid in last. Blend well. Be careful when you remove the lid because the steam will come up quickly.
- Pour the sauce back into your saute pan and allow it to reduce for a few minutes. Personally, I like to leave it a bit liquidy because the pasta will soak up some of the liquid as it bakes.
- Once your sauce reduces to your preferred thickness, pour it over your pasta and mix everything together. Sprinkle a handful of parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes and broil for the last 3 -5 minutes so the cheese gets nice and crispy on top.
Serve and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Welcome to Healthyish! I am so glad you’re here.
Together we will reinvent classic recipes and make them Healthyish.
Which means they’ll include light, healthy and clean ingredients that your body will crave (with the occasional ISH). I will also be sharing some fitness and self-care tips for beginners.
So, let’s get started!