Love chickpeas? Then you have to try my roasted chickpea rice krispies. This Healthyish recipe is the newest and tastiest way to enjoy them. Think rice krispie treat but with a Healthyish, protein packed twist. After many iterations, I was finally able to find the perfect formula to deliver the ultimate sweet / savory dessert.
What’s better than roasted chickpeas? They are light, crispy and oh so delicious. Once fully cooked, I tossed them with the butter, marshmallow and rice cereal for a simple and delicious dessert combination. These roasted chickpea Rice Krispies are a fun and Healthyish way to enjoy a classic.
If you’re wondering if this can be made vegan, I tried multiple times, but the marshmallow never melted enough for the dish to pull together. I might try again with a few different brands of marshmallows, but so far, I haven’t had much luck.
Also, it is very important that the chickpeas are fully roasted. If they are not fully roasted, they will make the rice cereal soft and less crispy. Try topping this tasty dessert with some tahini and toasted sesame seeds for an extra pop of flavor. For another delicious dessert recipe, try my classic brownies!
Roasted Chickpea Rice Krispies
- saute pan
- baking tray
- 8×8 baking dish
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 10- ounce bag jet-puffed mini marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5.5 cups rice krispy cereal
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas.
- Pat them dry using a paper towel or clean kitchen towel. This step is very important. Remove as much moisture as possible so you get perfectly crispy chickpeas.
- Spray a baking tray with olive oil cooking spray. Add the chickpeas to the tray.
- Spray the chickpeas once more with the olive cooking spray. This step is also very important.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes and broil for an additional 2 minutes to get the chickpeas nice and crispy.
- Give the pan a light shake about halfway through so the chickpeas roll around. This helps them to cook evenly.
- While the chickpeas are baking, begin the marshmallow butter mixture. This will only take about 5-6 minutes, so you can start this once the chickpeas are almost finished roasting.
- In a large sauté pan, add the butter and let it melt. Once fully melted add the marshmallows. Stir until fully melted and well combined.
- Place over low heat until you are ready to add the crispy chickpeas and rice cereal.
- Add the rice cereal and roasted chickpeas into the pan with the marshmallow and butter. Stir until they are well coated.
- Add everything into the prepared 8×8 baking dish. Using wax paper or the back of your spatula, gently press the krispies into the pan.
- Let them cool before cutting.
- Enjoy! Best served the same day.
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!