Looking for a quick and delicious dinner? Try my roasted chicken with creamy spinach and artichokes. It’s made from a few simple ingredients that your family is sure to love. Plus, this recipe comes together in 35 minutes or less. So, it’s perfect for those busy weeknights when you want a fast healthy meal.
What’s great about this recipe is that it’s lower carb and simple. You can enjoy this chicken on its own, or with a side. I suggest green beans, asparagus, or roasted carrots. For a heartier twist, you can serve this dish with a side of penne or linguine pasta. No matter what way you enjoy this recipe, I can almost guarantee that this will quickly become a family favorite.
Roasted Chicken with Creamy Spinach & Artichokes
- cast iron skillet
- oven safe saute pan
- 2 chicken breasts with skin seasoned with salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced about 1-2 tablespoons
- ⅓ cup shallots diced small
- 6 ounces of grape or cherry tomatoes You can dice them or buzz them up in the food processor
- 4 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 can artichoke bottoms drained and diced into quarters- aritchoke hearts will work too
- 1 can coconut milk 5.46 ounces – it’s the small can
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a cast iron skillet or regular skillet add 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium/high heat. Once the oil is hot (but not smoking) add the seasoned chicken breasts skin side down in the pan. Let the chicken get a nice brown sear. My breasts were thick, so it took about 5-6 minutes to get a sear on the skin.
- Once you get the sear you desire, reduce the heat to medium/low flip the breast and continue cooking the chicken for another 5-6 minutes on the other side. Once seared on both sides, turn the heat off as the chicken will finish cooking the oven.
- In a separate oven safe sauté pan, add the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil. Once the oil is warm, add the minced garlic and diced shallots. Let the shallots and garlic cook until the shallots turn translucent.
- Next, you’ll add the diced tomatoes with juice, salt and pepper. I buzzed my tomatoes in the food processor, but you can simply chop them into small pieces. Whatever you prefer. Simmer everything over medium heat.
- Then, you will add the fresh spinach and coconut milk. Stir until well combined and the spinach begins to wilt.
- Once the spinach is wilted, add the whipped cream cheese, parmesan cheese and quartered artichoke bottoms. Artichoke hearts will work too. Stir until well combined.
- Once the sauce is creamy and smooth, nestle the seared chicken breasts into the sauce.
- Cover the pan and cook for 15-20 minutes in the oven. The length of time will depend on how thick your chicken is. Thicker chicken may take longer in the oven. You'll want to make sure it is fully cooked through.
- As a final step, remove the lid, sprinkle on a little mozzarella cheese and broil the entire dish for 1-2 minutes or until the mozzarella is bubbly and golden brown.
- Top with fresh chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!