Oven Roasted Chicken with Creamy Spinach & Artichokes
Looking for a delicious chicken dinner recipe? Try my oven roasted chicken breasts with creamy spinach and artichokes. The creamy spinach artichoke sauce tastes amazing with the tender chicken. Perfect any night of the week, this oven roasted chicken breasts recipe is a must try.
About this Oven Roasted Chicken Recipe
This oven roasted chicken recipe is one of my all time favorites. The sauce is creamy and flavorful which tastes amazing with the juicy chicken breasts.
For this recipe, I used bone-in chicken breasts with skin. Simply season the chicken and add it skin side down to a hot (oven-safe) pan with olive oil. You’ll want the skin to get a golden brown sear. Cook for 5-6 minutes per side, then remove the chicken from the pan. You will finish cooking the chicken in the oven once the sauce is made.
Use the same pan with the chicken drippings to develop the sauce. Be sure to scrape all of the crispy bits from the bottom of the pan. Start by adding butter, minced garlic and diced shallots. Once the shallots and garlic are lightly browned, add the chicken broth, coconut milk, parmesan cheese, cream cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until smooth and creamy. Next, you’ll add the diced tomatoes, quartered artichoke hearts, and spinach. Once the spinach is fully wilted, nestle the chicken and its juices back into the sauce.
Cover and bake the entire dish for 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature for the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Since it is bone-in chicken it may need longer to cook. Boneless, skinless breasts will require less time.
Serve with pasta or rice for a heartier meal. This recipe makes two dinner servings or four light dinner servings. Please see below for nutritional information.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. Looking for more tasty chicken dinner ideas? Try my sticky honey sriracha chicken tenders or my baked enchilada chicken. Both are perfect any night of the week!
Roasted Chicken with Creamy Spinach & Artichokes
- 1.5 lbs. chicken breasts , bone in, skin on, about 2 breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup shallots, diced
- ¾ cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup baby spinach, packed
- 1 can artichokes, drained and diced into quarters, 13.75 ounces
- 1 can coconut milk, 5.46 ounce can
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese, 1/4 cup of regular cream cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley
- cast iron skillet
- oven safe saute pan
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In an oven safe saute pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium/high heat. Once the oil is hot (but not smoking) add the seasoned chicken breasts skin side down in the pan. Let the chicken get a nice brown sear. Roughly 5-6 minutes.
- Once seared, reduce the heat to medium/low flip the breast and continue cooking the chicken for another 5-6 minutes on the other side. Once seared on both sides, remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside. It will finish cooking in the oven.
- In the same pan, add butter, minced garlic and diced shallots. Let the shallots and garlic cook until the shallots turn translucent.
- Then, add the coconut milk, chicken broth, cream cheese, parmesan cheese.
- Once smooth and creamy, add the diced tomatoes, artichokes, spinach, salt and pepper.
- Once the spinach is wilted, nestle the seared chicken breasts into the sauce.
- Cover the pan and cook for 20-25 minutes in the oven. The length of time will depend on how thick your chicken is. You'll want the internal temperature to reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure doneness.
- As a final step, remove the lid, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and broil the entire dish for 1-2 minutes or until the mozzarella is bubbly and golden brown.
- Top with fresh chopped parsley and serve immediately.
2 Comments on “Oven Roasted Chicken with Creamy Spinach & Artichokes”
Wow!! This was way too easy! Made this for my wife and mother-in-law and they love me even more 🙂 The chicken was moist and that sauce!! Its definitely become a family favourite, my one-year-old loved it with pasta. Will definitely be making it again, maybe with some hot peppers for some kick but honestly it’s perfect as is.
This dish is wonderful!! Great flavor and easy enough! Another winner!