Colorful and crispy, these quick pickled onions can be added to eggs, salads, and sandwiches. Or an egg salad sandwich, like I made the other day!
Not only will they brighten up the aesthetic of your dish, they will add a huge punch of flavor. These onions have the perfect balance of acid and spice. So, let’s get started!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 10 peppercorns
- Boil a pot of water.
- Cut your red onion into thin, even slices. Set aside.
- Grab a small container that can be sealed with a lid.
- Mix together the rice vinegar, salt, sugar, garlic and peppercorns. Stir well.
- Add your onion slices to a colander and pour the boiling water over the onions. This will par-blanch them and soften them up.
- Once the onion slices are par-blanched, add them to the vinegar mixture.
- Cover and put in the refrigerator for up to an hour.
These onions will last for 2 to 3 weeks if you keep them covered and refrigerated. However, they will taste best if eaten within the first week.
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer, fitness junkie and owner of the Healthyish brand. She loves taking everyday eats and making them Healthyish. Sarah defines being Healthyish as a lifestyle centered around living light, fit and fun with a healthy dose of “ISH” from time to time. Sarah’s work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital). Sarah lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!