Colorful and crispy, these quick pickled onions can be added to eggs, salads, and sandwiches. Or an egg salad sandwich, like I made the other day! Not only will they brighten up the aesthetic of your dish, they will add a huge punch of flavor. These onions have the perfect balance of acid and spice. So, let’s get started!
What You’ll Need:
1 medium red onion
1 cup rice vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cloves garlic sliced
- Boil a pot of water.
- Cut your red onion into thin, even slices. Set aside.
- Grab a small container that can be sealed with a lid.
- Mix together the rice vinegar, salt, sugar, garlic and peppercorns. Stir well.
- Add your onion slices to a colander and pour the boiling water over the onions. This will par-blanch them and soften them up just enough.
- Once the onion slices are par-blanched, add them to the vinegar mixture.
- Cover and put in the refrigerator for up to an hour.
These onions will last for 2 to 3 weeks if you keep them covered and refrigerated. However, they will taste best if eaten within the first week.
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Welcome to the Healthyish Foods Blog. We’re glad you’re here! The purpose of this blog is to provide you with tips and reccomendations on how to live a Healthyish life! We will also provide you with recipes and ideas on ways that you can use your DIY organic baking kits at home.