Colorful and crispy, these quick pickled onions can be added to eggs, salads, and sandwiches. Or an egg salad sandwich, like I made the other day!
Not only will they brighten up the aesthetic of your dish, they will add a huge punch of flavor. These onions have the perfect balance of acid and spice. So, let’s get started!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 10 peppercorns
- Boil a pot of water.
- Cut your red onion into thin, even slices. Set aside.
- Grab a small container that can be sealed with a lid.
- Mix together the rice vinegar, salt, sugar, garlic and peppercorns. Stir well.
- Add your onion slices to a colander and pour the boiling water over the onions. This will par-blanch them and soften them up.
- Once the onion slices are par-blanched, add them to the vinegar mixture.
- Cover and put in the refrigerator for up to an hour.
These onions will last for 2 to 3 weeks if you keep them covered and refrigerated. However, they will taste best if eaten within the first week.
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!