Quick Homemade Pasta Sauce
Looking for a homemade sauce recipe? Give my quick homemade pasta sauce recipe a try. While most sauces can take all day to simmer, this sauce comes together in roughly three short hours. Perfect for pasta, sandwiches or chicken, this recipe is great to have on-hand during busy weeks.
About this Quick Homemade Pasta Sauce
Make a batch of this quick homemade pasta sauce and freeze any leftovers. It’s a great way to meal prep for the week ahead. Enjoy this easy homemade pasta sauce over pasta, chicken or sandwiches.
When prepping this quick homemade pasta sauce recipe, be sure to let the onion, carrots and celery lightly brown in the pan before adding the tomato sauce and chicken broth. This caramelization will add a ton of flavor to the sauce. Once everything has simmered for 2-3 hours, you will remove the onion, carrots and celery from the sauce using tongs. Leaving behind a flavorful pasta sauce that can be used time and time again throughout the week.
Ways to Use Homemade Pasta Sauce
Add ingredients to this homemade sauce to change it up through the week. Coconut milk or heavy cream are delicious additions you can use to reinvent this sauce and keep your family happy. Adding the coconut milk or heavy cream will make this sauce smooth and creamy. Perfect for pasta or smothered over chicken.
About my Soup Pot
For this recipe, I simmered everything in my 3 qt Hestan Culinary soup / saucepan. As you guys know, I am a huge fan of Hestan’s cookware. Their patented NanoBond technology is truly differentiating and unlike anything in the market today. For example, their pans are completely toxin free, which I love. Additionally, they are 400x stronger than stainless steel. In fact, they will even last 5x longer than the average pan, giving a great return on investment. Finally, they nest perfectly together making storage a breeze. So, if you haven’t tried their pans yet, I recommend you do.
Store any leftover sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. You can also freeze any leftover sauce and use it another time. Thaw the sauce in the refrigerator overnight before using. Looking for more easy sauce recipes? Try my homemade pesto sauce.
Quick Homemade Pasta Sauce
Quick Homemade Red Sauce
- 2.5 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6-8 cloves garlic, left whole
- 5 stalks celery, left whole so you can remove them later
- 5 whole carrots, peeled, left whole
- 1 whole onion, peeled and cut in half
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1.5 cans tomato sauce, 42 ounces in total
- pinch teaspoon cinnamon, Place the cinnamon in your hand first before you add it. Use a VERY small amount. About 1/16 of a teaspoon.
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, optional
- 3 quart Hestan soup / sauce pot
- Over medium heat add the butter, olive oil and garlic cloves to your 3-quart Hestan soup pot.
- Once the garlic is fragrant, add the peeled carrots, celery, onion, salt, oregano and pepper. (red pepper flakes optional)
- As the veggies begin to soften, add the chicken broth and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Reduce the heat to low and let everything simmer in the pot for about 2-3 hours. This will release all of the delicious flavors from the veggies and spices.
- Once the sauce has simmered on low heat for a few hours, remove the veggies using tongs. You can eat them or discard them; whichever you prefer.
- As a finishing touch, add a pinch of cinnamon. I like to add it to my hand first to make sure I only use a very small amount. You’ll be amazed by how much flavor this brings to the sauce. Just be sure to use a VERY small amount.
- Stir well and enjoy!