Pumpkin Mac n’ Cheese
This pumpkin mac n’ cheese is exactly what you need to get into the Fall spirit. It’s creamy, cheesy and loaded with pumpkin flavor. Perfect for a cold Fall day when you just want something warm and cozy. Scoop this pumpkin mac n’ cheese into your favorite bowl, curl up on the couch and enjoy all these delicious Fall flavors.
I love this recipe so much because you can really taste the pumpkin without it being too strong. It adds an extra level of flavor that so delicious. Plus, its smooth creamy texture is hard to beat. I can guarantee that your family will love this recipe.
Please note, that you will need to soak your raw cashews in water overnight. If you forget to soak them overnight, you can soak them for 5-6 hours at room temperature. Soaking the cashews makes them easier to work with. The sauce will be smoother and creamier if they are softened.
Pumpkin Mac n’ Cheese
- 12 ounces shellbow pasta , Delallo Foods
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup raw cashews , soaked in water for 5-6 hours then drained
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin puree , not pumpkin pie mix
- 1 cup chicken or veggie broth, Smart Chicken brand
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella
- oven safe saute pan
- pasta pot
Prepare the pasta:
- Boil a pot of water, and cook the pasta according to the package.
- I like to cook mine al dente because it will continue cooking once you add it to the pan with the pumpkin cheese sauce.
- Once cooked to your liking, drain the water and drizzle the pasta with olive oil so it doesn’t stick together. Set aside.
Prepare the sauce:
- In a large oven-safe sauté pan add the olive oil, minced garlic, drained cashews, coconut milk and ½ cup of the chicken broth. Stir until well combined.
- Next, you’ll add the Velveeta cheese, cream cheese, salt and a few cracks of black pepper.
- Once the cheese is fully melted, add the remaining ½ cup of chicken broth. Stir well.
- Next, you’ll pour everything into the blender and buzz it together until the cashews are smooth and creamy, no lumps.
- Pour the sauce back into the sauté pan. If it is too thick, simply add a little more chicken broth and stir until it is combined.
Assemble the dish:
- Next, you’ll pour the cooked noodles into the sauce.
- Toss everything together until the noodles are well coated in the cheese sauce. Top with the shredded mozzarella and broil for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly on the top.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!