Creamy, smooth and loaded with fall flavors, this pumpkin soup recipe is perfect for cooler fall temperatures. The thick lasagna, creamy broth, grated parmesan cheese and toasted pine nuts come together to form the most amazing bowl of pumpkin soup I’ve had in a long time.
About this Pumpkin Soup
Made from simple, healthy ingredients, you can feel good feeding this pumpkin soup recipe to your family. It’s warm, cozy and perfect any day of the week. Enjoy this pumpkin soup with some toasty garlic bread or warm naan bread for the ultimate homemade soup experience.
When it comes time to add the crushed lasagna pasta, be sure to spread it over the top of the soup. Stir frequently to prevent the pasta from sticking to the pan. You can also boil the pasta separately and add it at the end. Some people are more comfortable with this approach, but either way will work fine.
How to Make It Vegan
Substitute nutritional yeast for the parmesan cheese and this soup is completely dairy free. You will only need 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast for this soup recipe. Where as you’ll need 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. To make it vegan, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and use vegan butter.
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. This pumpkin lasagna soup recipe makes 4 servings. Please see below for nutritional information. Looking for more healthy soup recipes? Give these a try!
Pumpkin Lasagna Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup white onion, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 cups russet potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, not pumpkin mix
- 1 cup tomato sauce, canned is fine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon, smaller than you think
- ¼ cup coconut milk, shake the can before using
- 6 sheets lasagna pasta, crushed into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted in a skillet
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- saute pan
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add olive oil, butter, minced garlic, and sliced onions.
- Once the onions and garlic are translucent, add the peeled and diced potatoes and 2 cups of chicken broth. Simmer until the potatoes are fork tender about 10 minutes.
- Next, add the pumpkin puree, tomato sauce, lemon juice, grated parmesan, salt and a very small pinch of cinnamon. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Then, add the soup to a food processor. Blend until the soup is smooth and creamy, no lumps. Pour the soup back into the pan.
- Next, add a ¼ cup coconut milk, the remaining ½ cup of chicken broth. Bring to a light boil, then add the crushed lasagna pasta over the top of the soup. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the pasta is soft and fully cooked through. Be sure to stir the soup frequently to prevent the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan. If the soup gets too tight, add more chicken broth to thin it back out.
- In a separate skillet, toast the pine nuts. You will also want to grate some fresh parmesan cheese as a garnish.
- Top the soup with toasted pine nuts and grated parmesan. Serve immediately and enjoy!