Easy Plum Sauce
Looking for a delicious sauce that you can smother on just about anything? This easy plum sauce recipe is silky-smooth and goes with a variety of meals. Sweet and sour, this recipe is hard to beat.
Try this plum sauce recipe with crispy chicken thighs for the ultimate homemade dinner. Or enjoy this sauce with blackened tuna or crispy tofu. What’s great, is that this entire recipe only takes 30 minutes from start to finish.
How to Make Plum Sauce
When prepping the plums you will slice them in half and pit them. Option to leave the skin on for this recipe.
Next, saute the onions in a sauce plan until translucent. Add the honey, balsamic vinegar, red wine, and broth. Stir well. Next, add the plums. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the plums are tender. Add the brown sugar. Once its dissolved, blend everything together in a blender until smooth and creamy.
Serve warm over pan roasted chicken, seared ahi tuna, or crispy tofu cutlets. No matter what you drizzle this sauce over, I can guarantee this plum sauce recipe will be a hit.
Store leftover plum sauce covered in the refrigerator for three to four days days. While you can enjoy it chilled, I prefer it slightly warmed. Heat in the microwave for 15-20 seconds. This recipe makes 8 servings of sauce. Please see below for nutritional information.
Easy Plum Sauce
- 5 plums, pitted, sliced in half, skin on
- ¾ cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup red wine, zinfandel or pinot noir
- ¼ cup broth, chicken, beef or vegetable
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 saucepan
- 1 blender or food processor
- Spray a saucepan with non-stick cooking spray and place it over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion, and saute.
- Add the honey, balsamic vinegar, red wine and broth. Stir well.
- Next, add the pitted plums. Cover and saute for 20-25 minutes until tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add the brown sugar and once its dissolved, place the plum mixture in the blender and buzz it until smooth and creamy.
- Pour sauce back into the pan and serve warm.