Meat free and absolutely delicious these plant-based jackfruit tacos need to be added to your weekly meal plan. They loaded with flavor, easy to make, and come together in under 30 minutes. Making this recipe perfect for those nights when you need to get dinner on the table fast. As an added health bonus, jackfruit is very low calorie and low sugar too!
I love this recipe so much because it curbs my taco craving without the meat. These plant-based jackfruit tacos are light, healthy yet completely satisfying. I was able to get five loaded street tacos out of this batch, but you could probably squeeze six if you spread out the jackfruit a bit more. Three street tacos per person would be a light dinner for an adult, so you might want to start with my street corn guacamole as a tasty appetizer.
Plant-Based Jackfruit Tacos
- saute pan
- food processor
- 1 box jackfruit – about 10 ounces I use Upton’s Naturals brand
- ½ large white or yellow onion diced small about 3/4 cup
- ½ packet taco seasoning
- ½ sliced fresh jalapeno
- 1 avocado sliced thin
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- 1 ear of corn grilled and sliced off of the cob
- fresh cilantro rough chop
- street taco tortillas soft tortillas or hard shell will work too
Spicy Lime Crema
- 4 tablespoon sour cream vegan
- 2 teaspoon hot sauce frank's
- 2 teaspoons lime juice fresh squeezed
- Mix together until well blended
- Remove the jackfruit from the container. I use Upton Natural’s Brand (original flavor) which comes in a box. It’s lightly soaked in a small amount of liquid, so I rinse and drain it off in a colander. If you use canned jackfruit be sure to rinse it well. Canned jackfruit can be salty, so make sure it is well rinsed and all of the brine is removed.
- Next, take the jackfruit out of the colander and remove the pits. You will see them; they look like round little seeds almost.
- Next, add the jackfruit to a food processor or blender. Buzz it up for a few seconds until the jackfruit is all the same size. It will resemble canned tuna or shredded crabmeat.
- Remove the jackfruit from the food processor and place it on paper towel or clean kitchen towel. Squeeze out any excess moisture.
- Gently spray a sauté pan with cooking spray.
- Add the jackfruit and the diced onion to a large sauté pan with sides and cook it over medium heat.
- Once the onions begin to turn translucent add the taco seasoning. I used a ½ packet but follow your heart.
- Stir until well combined.
- Once the jackfruit and onions are slightly crispy, you’ll remove the mixture from the heat. Set aside.
- Next, heat your tortillas so they are soft and pliable. I like to quickly char mine over the stovetop but be very careful if you do this.
- Next, you will grill your corn and carefully cut it away from the cob. Set aside. Canned corn or cooked frozen corn will work fine too!
- Thinly slice your fresh jalapeno and roughly chop some fresh cilantro. Cut the limes into wedges and set aside.
Option to make some spicy lime crema. Simply take vegan sour cream, hot sauce and lime juice and stir until well combined. For a thinner crema add more lime juice.
Assemble the tacos:
- Lay your tortilla down add some jackfruit onion taco “meat”. Top with the grilled corn, jalapeno, avocado slices, cilantro and lime wedges. Serve with the crema on the side or on top!
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!