Meat free and absolutely delicious, these plant-based jackfruit tacos need to be added to your weekly meal plan. They loaded with flavor, easy to make, and come together in under 30 minutes. Making this taco recipe perfect for those nights when you need to get dinner on the table fast. As an added health bonus, jackfruit is low calorie and low sugar too.
About this recipe
These jackfruit tacos are the perfect meat-free taco recipe. They are light, healthy, yet completely satisfying. I was able to get five loaded street tacos out of this batch, but you could probably squeeze six if you spread out the jackfruit mixture a bit more.
For this jackfruit taco recipe I used Upton Natural’s boxed jackfruit. You can find their products in the refrigerated section at you local grocer. I like using their products because canned jackfruit can be very briny and salty. However, if that is what you have on-hand, use it. Just be sure to rinse the jackfruit under cold water before using it. This will help remove some of the salty briny taste.
You will also want to remove any pits from the jackfruit. They look like large seeds mixed in with the meat. Technically, you can eat these, but I prefer to remove them. Be sure to press out any excess moisture from the jackfruit after you give it a rough chop in the food processor. Simply use a paper towel or clean kitchen towel. The jackfruit should resemble canned tuna or shredded crab meat.
For this jackfruit taco recipe, I used grilled corn on the cob. The grilled corn kernels add some extra flavor that’s hard to resist. However, canned whole corn kernels will work too. Just be sure to drain off any excess liquid and pat the corn dry.
What’s great about this recipe is that you can really make it your own. Try adding black beans, red bell pepper, and pickled onions for some fun vegan toppings. Three street tacos per person would be a light dinner for an adult, so you might want to start with my street corn guacamole as a tasty appetizer.
- 1 box jackfruit, Upton’s Naturals brand, 10 ounce box
- ¾ cup sweet onion, diced small
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning, about half of a packet
- ¼ cup jalapeno, sliced or minced small
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced thin
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1-2 ears corn, grilled and sliced off of the cob
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, rough chop
- 5 street taco tortillas, street taco tortillas are 4.5 inches wide
Spicy Lime Crema
- ¼ cup sour cream, vegan
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, Frank's Red Hot
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, fresh squeezed
- saute pan
- food processor
- Remove the jackfruit from the container. I use Upton Natural’s Brand (original flavor) which comes in a box. It’s lightly soaked in a small amount of liquid, so I rinse and drain it off in a colander. If you use canned jackfruit be sure to rinse it well. Canned jackfruit can be salty, so make sure it is well rinsed and all of the brine is removed.
- Next, take the jackfruit out of the colander and remove the pits. You will see them; they look like round little seeds.
- Next, add the jackfruit to a food processor or blender. Buzz it up for a few seconds until the jackfruit is all the same size. It will resemble canned tuna or shredded crabmeat.
- Remove the jackfruit from the food processor and place it on paper towel or clean kitchen towel. Squeeze out any excess moisture.
- Gently spray a sauté pan with cooking spray.
- Add the jackfruit and the diced onion to a large sauté pan with sides and cook it over medium heat.
- Once the onions begin to turn translucent add the taco seasoning. I used a ½ packet but follow your heart.
- Stir until well combined.
- Once the jackfruit and onions are slightly crispy, you’ll remove the mixture from the heat. Set aside.
- Next, heat your tortillas so they are soft and pliable. I like to quickly char mine over the stovetop but be very careful if you do this.
- Next, you will grill your corn and carefully cut it away from the cob. Set aside. Canned corn or cooked frozen corn will work fine too!
- Thinly slice your fresh jalapeno and roughly chop some fresh cilantro. Cut the limes into wedges and set aside.
Spicy lime crema:
- Combine vegan sour cream, hot sauce and lime juice, stir until well combined.
Assemble the tacos:
- Lay your tortilla down add some jackfruit onion taco “meat”. Top with the grilled corn, jalapeno, avocado slices, cilantro and lime wedges. Serve with the crema on the side or on top!
- Serve immediately and enjoy.