With a crab cake texture but completely plant-based, these jackfruit patties are light, flaky and delicious. This jackfruit recipe is almost exactly like a crab cake. They have a slight sweetness mixed with a little spice. Once you pan fry them, they get a perfectly crispy outside that tastes amazing. Light on filler, these jackfruit patties are the real deal.
About this recipe
Enjoy these jackfruit patties with tartar sauce and fresh squeezed lemon. However, you can also use cocktail sauce or hot sauce if you prefer. Another way to enjoy this jackfruit recipe, is tucked into a sandwich. I prefer using warm naan bread. Simply load your jackfruit patty into the naan bread, along with fresh sliced avocado, jalapeño, and butter lettuce. You’re in for one tasty sandwich.
When prepping the jackfruit, make sure to remove any pits. They look like large seeds. Technically, you can eat them, but I prefer to remove them for this recipe. Also, I suggest using Upton Natural’s boxed jackfruit. It can be found in the refrigerated section at your local grocer. Unlike canned jackfruit, this jackfruit is light, sweet and flavorful. Canned jackfruit can be more salty. However, if that’s what you have on hand, use it. Just be sure to run it under cold water to remove some of the briny flavor.
Another tip for this recipe, is to press out any excess moisture from the jackfruit. Use a clean kitchen towel or paper towels for this process. This will help you achieve crispy jackfruit patties versus soggy patties. This recipe makes 5 medium sized jackfruit patties. Please see the nutritional information below for more details.
Store any leftover in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. Enjoy over salads, tucked inside of sandwiches or as is. Looking for more vegan recipes? Try my crispy tofu cutlets or my creamy Alfredo pasta.
- 2 tablespoons butter, for frying, Earth Balance
- 10 ounces Upton Natural's jackfruit, Pit and dry with paper towel, about 1 heaping cup chopped
- ¼ cup mayonnaise , Vegenaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice , fresh squeezed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup sweet onion , diced small
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno, minced
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon parsley
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch cracked black pepper
- mixing bowl
- saute pan
- Remove the jackfruit from the box. I used Upton Natural’s brand (original flavor).
- Next, remove the pits and pat the jackfruit dry using a paper towel.
- Then, add the jackfruit to the food processor. Gently chop it until you get small evenly sized pieces. Should resemble shredded crabmeat or canned tuna. I had about 1 heaping cup of chopped jackfruit meat.
- Remove the jackfruit from the food processor and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the mayo, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, diced white onion, minced jalapeno, flax meal, panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder, salt, parsley, and cracked black pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Form the jackfruit into patties. I was able to get 5 medium-sized patties.
- Grab a large skillet, and add vegan butter or cooking spray to the skillet.
- Over medium heat, cook the jackfruit patties until they are golden brown on both sides. Roughly 4-5 minutes per side.
- Remove from the heat and serve with your favorite dipping sauce and fresh lemon wedges.