Think crab cake in texture but completely plant-based, these jackfruit patties are light, flaky and delicious. Their texture and appearance are almost exactly like a crab cake. They have a slight sweetness and a little spice. And once you pan fry them, they get a perfectly crispy outside that tastes amazing. Light on the filler, these jackfruit patties are the real deal.
I enjoyed mine with a little tartar sauce and fresh squeezed lemon. But you can also use cocktail or hot sauce if you prefer. Another great way to enjoy these patties is in-between some naan bread. Load your jackfruit patty with fresh sliced avocado, jalapeño, and butter lettuce for a tasty sandwich.
Plant Based Jackfruit Patties
- mixing bowl
- saute pan
- 1-2 tablespoons butter for frying
- 1 box Upton Natural's jackfruit about 10 ounces – pit and dry with paper towel about 1 heaping cup chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo Vegenaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup died white or yellow onion diced small
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cracked black pepper
- Remove the jackfruit from the box. I used Upton Natural’s brand (original flavor) and it is very good. The canned version is normally soaked in a salty brine, so if you used the canned version be sure to rinse it in a colander before using.
- Next, remove the hard pits, pat the jackfruit dry using a paper towel or clean kitchen towel.
- Then, you’ll add the remaining jackfruit into the food processor. Gently chop until you get small evenly sized pieces. Mine looked like shredded crabmeat. I had about 1 heaping cup of chopped jackfruit meat.
- Remove from the food processor and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the mayo, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, diced white onion, minced jalapeno, flax meal, panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder, salt, parsley, and cracked black pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Form the jackfruit into patties. I was able to get 5 medium sized patties.
- Grab a large skillet and add some vegan butter or cooking spray to the pan.
- Over medium heat, cook the jackfruit patties until they are golden brown on both sides. Roughly 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the heat and serve with your favorite dipping sauce and fresh lemon wedges.
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!