Creamy Macaroni Salad
When I think of my favorite side dish recipes, creamy macaroni salad always comes to mind. There is something about a big bowl of macaroni, mixed with delicious vegetables and coated in tangy dressing that just calls my name. Growing up, we would always have creamy macaroni salad in the summer. My Mom would serve it as a side dish at picnics and cookouts. This creamy macaroni salad recipe is perfect for your next gathering.
About this creamy macaroni salad recipe
This creamy macaroni salad can be made completely vegan. Simply skip the egg, and this recipe is plant based. Perfect for anyone looking to add more plant-based recipes into their diets. Personally, I like using Vegenasie mayonnaise. It has a tangy, zippy flavor just like traditional mayonnaise. Also, if you haven’t tried Daiya brand cheddar cheese, you should give it a try. I buy a block of their cheddar cheese and crumble some of it it in the food processor. You can also grate this cheese if you prefer.
Serve this creamy macaroni salad chilled for the ultimate side dish. Serve this dish along side of grilled chicken, pulled pork or grilled fish. This macaroni salad recipe is guaranteed to be a hit. This recipe makes 6 side dish servings. Please see below for all of the nutritional information.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Stays fresh for four to five days. Enjoy throughout the week with various meals and proteins. Looking for more side dish recipes? Try my simple summer pasta salad or my easy caprese peach pasta salad.
White vinegar is an antimicrobial. It has been known to kill off bad bacteria that can grow inside and on the surface of our bodies. In fact, vinegar can even slow the rate by which our stomachs empty food. Meaning we feel fuller longer, causing a weight loss effect.
Creamy Macaroni Salad
- 1 + ¼ cups mayonnaise, Vegenaise is a vegan brand of mayo
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 10-12 ounces macaroni pasta, al dente preferred
- ½ cup celery, sliced thin
- ½ cup broccoli florets, rinsed under hot water to soften, chop small
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced small
- ¼ cup sweet onion, diced small
- ¼ cup crumbled cheddar cheese , Diaya brand is vegan
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, omit the egg for a vegan recipe
- salt and pepper, to taste
- pasta pot
- 2 mixing bowl
- Boil a pot of water and cook the macaroni according to the package. Al dente preferred. Drain water using a colander and set aside so the pasta can cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the dressing. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooled pasta, celery, onion, red bell pepper, and broccoli. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the macaroni salad and stir well until everything is evenly coated.
- Top with the crumbled cheddar cheese, and sliced hard boiled egg.
- Refrigerate in a covered container for at least an hour before serving.