When I think of my favorite side dishes, creamy macaroni salad always comes to mind. There is something about a big bowl of macaroni noodles, mixed with delicious veggies and coated in tangy dressing that just calls my name.
Growing up we would always have macaroni salad in the summer. My Mom would serve it with grilled chicken, corn on the cob and a dinner roll or biscuit. It was perfect!
While still creamy and delicious, this recipe is a slight bit different. If you skip the egg it is completely vegan, but you’d never know the difference!
What makes it Healthyish?
White vinegar is an antimicrobial. It has been known to kill off bad bacteria that can grow inside and on the surface of our bodies. In fact, vinegar can even slow the rate by which our stomachs empty food. Meaning we feel fuller longer, causing a weight loss effect. So, let’s get started!
Creamy Plant Based Macaroni Salad
- pasta pot
- 2 mixing bowl
- 1 + ¼ cups Vegenaise mayo
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
The Macaroni salad
- 12 ounces cooked macaroni noodles
- ½ cup thinly sliced celery stocks or about 3 stalks
- ½ – 1 cup chopped broccoli florets rinsed under hot water to soften
- ⅓ cup diced white or yellow onion
- ⅓ cup diced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup crumbled vegan cheddar – Daiya
- Sliced hard-boiled egg Omit the egg for it to be vegan – otherwise its vegetarian
- Salt and pepper
- Boil a pot of water and cook the macaroni noodles.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cooked macaroni noodles, thinly sliced celery, diced white onion, diced red bell pepper, broccoli florets (I like to completely remove the stems and run the broccoli under hot water to slightly soften it before I add it to the salad).
- In a small mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients for the dressing. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the macaroni salad and stir well until everything is evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Next, you’ll grab your food processor and add about 1/3 cup of vegan cheddar cheese. Chop the cheese until it breaks up into small – medium sized crumbles.
- Top the salad with the cheese crumbles, and sliced hard boiled egg.
- Refrigerate in a covered container for at least an hour – Serve and ENJOY!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a home cook, recipe developer and the creator of the brand, Healthyish®. Sarah believes that living Healthyish® is a lifestyle centered around the 80/20 rule. Her beliefs are directly reflected in her recipes which are mostly plant-based. (but sometimes not) Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!