Plant-Based Bucatini Pie with Cashew Cream Sauce
I tried my hand at bucatini pie only with a plant-based twist. This recipe was so delicious and comforting it was hard not to eat the entire pie!
The cashew sauce was creamy and cheesy, the noodles were perfectly firm, and the crushed crouton topping added that extra crunch factor that we all love so much.
I served mine with a simple house salad and lemon vinaigrette. The acid from the lemon vinaigrette tasted great with the creamy cashew sauce. I can almost guarantee that this plant based bucatini pie will quickly become a household favorite. Plus, it come together in under 45 minutes. What more can you ask for?
Looking for more pasta recipes? Try my plant based alfredo pasta or my shellbow pasta with quick red sauce mushrooms and spinach.
Plant-Based Bucatini Pie
Cashew cream sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil or avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 cup unsalted raw cashews , soaked for 6 hours and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes 15 ounces or 2 cups
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Pasta noodles and toppings / inclusions
- 1 lb. bucatini pasta , or thick spaghetti
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, daiya
- ½ cup parmesan for topping , fresh grated vegan violife
- Handful of crushed croutons store bought are fine, just make sure they’re vegan
- pasta pot
- saute pan
- mixing bowl
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently spray your 8.5-inch spring form pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Boil a pot of water and cook the bucatini according to the package. Reserve ½ cup of pasta water for the cashew cream.
- Grab a colander, drain off the pasta water and drizzle olive oil on the noodles to prevent them from sticking together. Set aside.
Prepare the cashew cream:
- In a large sauté pan add the vegan butter and olive oil. Avocado oil will work too.
- Add the sliced sweet white onion and sliced fresh garlic and let them sweat until translucent. (not browned)
- Add the drained and soaked cashews, diced tomatoes, veggie broth, salt and pepper, and pasta water. Let it all come to a light simmer.
- Carefully add all of these ingredients into the blender. Blend well until all lumps are gone and the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the sauce back into the sauté pan.
Assemble the dish:
- Grab a large mixing bowl and add the noodles. Reserve about 1 cup of sauce. Spoon the rest if the cashew cream over the noodles until they are very well coated in sauce. Gently fold in the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Add the sauced noodles into the spring form pan. You can also use a baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with crushed croutons, and fresh grated parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!