Want to cut back on carbs? Try my pizza stuffed roasted tomatoes! They’re light, healthy and easy to make. Plus, you can customize them to make them your own. I stuffed mine with pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese and spices, but you can also add pepperoni, cooked sausage, or veggies of you desire.
I love this recipe because it curbs the pizza craving and is completely satisfying. And the entire recipe comes together in under 20 minutes! Plus, if you use vegan cheese, this recipe is fully plant-based as well. So, give this delicious recipe a try! You’ll be glad you did.
Pizza Stuffed Roasted Tomatoes
- baking tray
- 4 large red beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 jar pizza sauce I used Delallo brand
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese Use Daiya brand for a plant based version
- Chopped fresh Italian parsley
- ½ cup grated parmesan Use Violife brand for a plant based version
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently spray a baking tray with cooking spray and set it aside.
- Using a sharp knife, gently cut the stem out of the tomato in a circular shape.
- Next, you’ll carefully scoop out the seeds and juice.
- Repeat until all four tomatoes are cored and cleaned.
- Next, you’ll spoon the pizza sauce into the center of the tomato. This is when you could also add some mini pepperoni, cooked sausage crumbles or cooked veggies. You’ll want any add-ins to be fully cooked because the tomatoes will only be in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Top with some of the shredded mozzarella, a pinch or oregano, a pinch of garlic salt and a pinch of fresh cracked black pepper.
- Bake the tomatoes in the oven for 10 minutes.
- After ten minutes, broil the tomatoes for an additional 2-3 minutes so the cheese gets bubbly and lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven, top with fresh chopped parsley and parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!