This vegetarian spin on chicken nuggets is the recipe you didn’t know you needed. These panko crusted tofu nuggets are crispy on the outside and soft in the center. Topped with a sauce made from honey, lemon and fresh cracked black pepper. Needless to say, you’re in for a real treat.
As a final step, I topped these nuggets with flaky sea salt for that extra pop of flavor we all love so much. McDonalds can’t hold a candle to these Healthyish homemade nuggets!
What makes it Healthyish?
Tofu is packed with protein and is a great plant based substitute for meat! Next, I topped these homemade nuggets with an all natural honey sauce that is melt in your mouth delicious. Honey is known for its powerful antioxidants that research suggests can reduce your risk of heart disease!
So, let’s get this recipe started!
Panko Crusted Tofu Nuggets with Honey Lemon Sauce
- mixing bowl
- 3 plates
- 1 package of super firm tofu
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- healthy pinch cracked black peppercorns
- healthy pinch of table salt
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- healthy pinch cayenne pepper
- sea salt
- 6 tablespoons sesame oil
Honey Lemon Sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- healthy pinch of cracked black peppercorns
- Drain the tofu and press out all of the moisture using paper towel or a clean kitchen towel. Cut into 9 evenly sized cubes. Set aside.
- Grab three plates. On the first plate you’ll add your cornstarch, table salt and a healthy pinch of cracked black peppercorns. On the second plate you’ll add the whisked egg.
- On the third plate, you’ll combine the panko breadcrumbs, cayenne, garlic powder, and onion powder. Set aside.
Begin preparing the tofu nuggets
- Dredge the tofu through the cornstarch, making sure to evenly coat all sides, then through the egg wash, and finally through the panko breadcrumb mixture. Repeat until all tofu nuggets are ready.
- Over medium heat, add your sesame oil to a large skillet. Let the sesame oil get hot before adding the nuggets. If the oil is too cool when you add the nuggets, they will soak up the oil and have a heavy dense texture vs. a light crispy texture. Pan fry all of your nuggets on every side until they are fully cooked.
- Place cooked nuggets on a paper towel to soak off any excess oil. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt while they are still warm.
- Prepare the honey lemon sauce. In a small bowl whisk together the honey, lemon juice, and cracked black pepper corns. Drizzle over your nuggets and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer, fitness junkie and owner of the Healthyish brand. She loves taking everyday eats and making them Healthyish. Sarah defines being Healthyish as a lifestyle centered around living light, fit and fun with a healthy dose of “ISH” from time to time. Sarah’s work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital). Sarah lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!