Easy Zucchini Boats
Summer might be coming to an end, but these easy zucchini boats are out of this world delicious. Light, healthy, and easy to make, this simple zucchini boat recipe is perfect for those nights when you need a quick, healthy dinner. Low carb and keto friendly, this recipe you’ll want to try.
About this recipe
When prepping the zucchini, be sure to slice them in half lengthwise. Add the zucchini boats to the prepared baking tray, season them with salt and pepper. Then you will roast the zucchini for 25-30 minutes in the oven. You’ll want the zucchini to be fork tender. When prepping the mozzarella pearls, you can slice them in half for easy melting.
When prepping the onion and tomato mixture you’ll wan to make sure the tomatoes blister in the pan. This will release their natural juices and make the mixture more of a sauce. Also, be sure to slice the garlic very thin. This will help release its flavor and tastes so good with the onions and tomatoes. Finish this dish with a drizzle of reduced balsamic glaze. It adds an extra layer of flavor thats hard to resist.
These easy zucchini boats can be made vegan if you use vegan butter and vegan mozzarella. If you’re looking for a heartier meal, serve these zucchini boats with a side of pasta or rice. This zucchini boat recipe makes 4 light servings or two heartier servings. Please see below for nutritional information.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. Looking for more zucchini recipes? Try my homemade zucchini bread or my easy zucchini pie. Both are perfect ways to use up all of your summer zucchini.
Oven Roasted Zucchini and Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, Earth Balance brand if vegan
- 2 large zucchini, cleaned and sliced in half, lengthwise
- 3 cloves garlic , sliced
- 1 cup white onion , diced small
- 6-8 ounces cherry tomatoes, left whole
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup mozzarella pearls, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons reduced balsamic vinegar, as a glaze on top
- baking tray
- saute pan
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Gently spray a baking tray with cooking spray and place the zucchini halves on the tray. You’ll want the center facing down on the tray so they can lay flat.
- Bake the zucchini for 25-30 minutes or until it is fork tender and lightly browned.
- While the zucchini is roasting, grab a sauté pan and over medium heat add the olive oil, butter, garlic, onions, tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Once the tomatoes begin to blister and the onions are lightly caramelized, turn the heat off and set the mixture aside.
- Once the zucchini is ready, top it with the onion and tomato mixture. Be sure to remove the thyme springs from the dish.
- Top the tomato mixture with mozzarella pearls and broil the entire dish for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- As a final step, drizzle the dish with reduced balsamic vinegar.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
One Comment on “Easy Zucchini Boats”
We loved this recipe. I made it with some baked chicken tenders that I stuck in the oven with the zucchini. It was so easy and my boyfriend loved that it was so healthy yet filling. Thanks! 😉