Mini Cupcake Cones
These mini cupcake cones are almost too cute to eat! Growing up, my mom always made these cupcake cones for special occasions. I was always so proud to take them to a birthday party or gathering because I thought they were so cool. She would always use the full-size cones, so these minis are a fun Healthyish twist on her classic dessert. You can easily enjoy two cones without feeling too full.
For this recipe, I made my delicious Oreo cake batter. Next, I topped the baked mini cakes with creamy vanilla frosting. To finish the mini cupcake cones, I added either crushed Oreo cookie crumbles or all-natural rainbow sprinkles on top. Another option is to add a Luxardo cherry on top of the cupcakes with the crushed Oreo cookie pieces. This is a beautiful and delicious touch.
To keep things simple, I used store bought vanilla frosting, but you can use homemade as well. Whatever is easiest for you. However, I highly recommend trying my Oreo cake batter for this recipe. It’s moist, delicious and easy to make.
For the cake batter recipe, I used King Arthur black cocoa powder. I strongly suggest grabbing some for this recipe. It really changes the taste and texture of the cake. Unfortunately, unsweetened cocoa powder will not taste as good. It doesn’t give you the rich chocolate / Oreo flavor that the black cocoa powder does.
Cupcake Cone Tips
Here are some helpful tips when making the cupcake cones. First, you want to place the cones in a muffin tin. This will help stabilize the cones. Only add one mini cone per cup. Next, you want to fill the cones using a piping bag. This will save you a ton of time. Fill the cones about ¾ of way up, this will give you the perfect muffin shape on top. Wait until they are completely cooled before frosting. Also use a clean piping bag for the frosting. I was able to get 26-28 mini cake cones.
Store these mini cakes in an airtight container at room temperature. I store mine on my kitchen countertop. These cones should last 3-4 days at room temp. Should you decide to place them in the refrigerator, they will dry out faster, so it’s best to keep them on the counter.
If you can only find the large cones in your local store, fill them with my cake batter 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 26-28 minutes. If you use other cake batter it could change the fill line, so be warned. It’s probably best to test one cone in the oven before baking all of them.
Mini Cupcake Cones
Mini Cupcake Cones
- 1 box mini cones , they come 42 to a box. I used Joy brand
- 1 container vanilla frosting , I used about 1/2 tablespoon per cone
- ¼ cup crushed Oreo cookie , about 3-4 cookies crushed in a Ziploc bag – extra for topping
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed tightly
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- 4 tablespoons room temperature butter
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of 2% milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla flavor
- ¾ cup AP flour , all purpose flour
- ½ cup black cocoa powder, linked above
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles
- ¼ cup crushed Oreo cookie
- Luxardo cherries
- mixing bowl
- Muffin tin
- whisk and spatula
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grab a muffin tin and set it aside.
Prepare the cake batter:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the light brown sugar, cane sugar and butter. Cream together.
- Next, add the egg. Whisk well with the sugar butter mixture.
- Then, you will add the milk and vanilla flavor. Stir well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. This includes, ap flour, baking powder, black cocoa powder, and ¼ cup crushed Oreo. Stir until a batter forms.
Prepare the mini cones:
- Add the mini cones to the muffin tin. One cone per tin.
- Fill the cones ¾ of the way up.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes or until they are fully cooked through.
- Repeat until you use all of the batter. Cool cones on a wire rack.
Assemble the cones:
- Once the mini cones have cooled, use the piping bad filled with frosting to frost the cones. Add about a ½ tablespoon to each cone.
- Top with your desired toppings and enjoy!