Best Ever Mediterranean Farro Salad
Light, healthy, and completely satisfying this Mediterranean Farro salad is perfect for lunch, brunch or dinner. This tasty farro salad recipe only takes 30 minutes to prepare and is a great meal prep item to have on hand for long busy weeks. Loaded with nutrient-dense ingredients, you can feel good feeding this ancient grain salad to your loved ones.
About this recipe
Enjoy this Mediterranean farro salad recipe as a side dish or add your favorite protein for a heartier meal. I like adding sliced roasted chicken to this recipe. However, crispy tofu or grilled salmon would taste delicious as well.
Since farro can be bland, be sure to boil it in a combination of delicious bone broth and water. For this recipe, I used Smart Chicken’s classic bone broth. It adds a level of flavor that is hard to resist.
Add the sliced grapes, red onion, chopped parsley, cucumbers, feta, seasoning and light dressing for a delicious meal. For an extra punch of flavor, try adding a dollop of homemade tzatziki on top of this farro salad recipe. The creamy bright sauce tastes great with the other Mediterranean inspired flavors in this dish.
Store any leftover farro salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Serve chilled. Looking for healthy and easy to prepare salads? Try my Mediterranean salmon salad or my whole wheat casarecce pasta salad. Both are easy to make and great recipes to have on hand through the week.
Mediterranean Farro Salad
- 1.5 cups farro, about 3 cups cooked
- 2 cups bone broth
- 1 cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cups kale, chopped small, spinach will work well too
- ½ cup Italian parsley, fresh chopped
- ½ cup red onion, diced small
- 1.5 cups red grapes , you can leave them whole of half them, remove stem
- 1 cup cucumber, remove core with a spoon before dicing
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, Fage 0%
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped small
- ½ cup cucumber, remove core using a spoon and dice small
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3.5 quart soup pot
- large mixing bowl
- Boil the bone broth and water in a 3.5-quart soup pot.
- Add the farro and bring back up to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium/low, cover and let the farro simmer for 15-16 minutes.
- Remove from heat, season with a pinch of salt and set it aside to cool.
Prepare the salad add-ins:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped kale or spinach, diced red onion, diced cucumbers, chopped Italian parsley, and red grapes. Stir well.
Assemble the dish:
- Add the room temperature farro, fresh squeezed lemon juice, olive oil, crumbled feta cheese and a pinch more salt and pepper to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- Toss everything together and serve with a side of tzatziki.
One Comment on “Best Ever Mediterranean Farro Salad”
I made this for a weekly meal prep and not only was it delicious, but it held up nicely for several days. I added roasted chicken and it all tasted amazing together. I even looked forward to eating my lunches!