Lemon Ricotta Bars
Light, airy and tangy are a few words I’d use to describe these lemon ricotta bars. The smooth, tart filling melts in your mouth, and has the perfect amount of lemon flavor. The crust is nutty and buttery, with a perfectly crispy texture. These bars are perfect for a hot summer day or as a light after dinner dessert.
About this recipe
These lemon ricotta bars are creamy and delicious. I cut them into smaller squares making them easier to grab and enjoy. This recipe yields about nine medium-sized bars from the baking dish. There is always the option to cut them even smaller too. For a healthy twist, I added ground flax seeds to the crust. This gives the bars a slightly nutty flavor thats warm and delicious. Adding the flax seed is a great way to sneak some healthy nutrients into this decadent dessert too.
As a finishing touch, I dusted the bars with powdered sugar and some extra lemon zest. The extra lemon zest really brightens this dessert recipe. Enjoy with a hot cup of cappuccino or an after dinner drink. An espresso martini or a Bailey’s and coffee would be great adult beverages to try with this dessert. Trust me, this is one lemon bar recipe that you do not want to miss.
Typically, lemon bars can be left out at room temperature for an hour or two. That said, these bars should be stored in the refrigerator when not being enjoyed. They will need covered and well sealed. They will stay fresh for two to three days. Looking for more dessert recipes? Try my cranberry cheese roll-ups or my cinnamon apple crumble.
Lemon Ricotta Bars
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ⅓ cup cane sugar
- ¾ cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- zest from 2 lemons
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 8×8 inch glass baking dish
- 2 mixing bowls
- saute pan
- Preheat oven to 350°F .
- Line an 8×8-inch glass baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
Prepare the crust:
- Cook butter in a saucepan over medium heat until fully melted.
- Pour melted butter into a large mixing bowl and let cool for a few minutes.
- Add cane sugar, vanilla, salt and flax seeds; whisk until smooth.
- Fold in ap flour ½ cup at a time.
- Press dough evenly into bottom of prepared baking pan. Bake the crust for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
Prepare the filling:
- Whisk ricotta, eggs, sugar, and flour in medium sized mixing bowl.
- Next, you’ll stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325° F.
- Pour filling into warm crust.
- Bake until filling feels firm when lightly touched, about 55 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature for 1-2 hours.
- Finish with a dusting of powdered sugar and lemon zest