This lemon butter pasta with seared scallops is perfect for nights when you want to throw something delicious together but don’t have a lot of time. This recipe has the perfect mix of lemon, butter and aromatics that taste so incredible with the pasta and fish.
I used scallops for this dish because they cook very fast. However, they can be expensive so you can swap them for chicken, salmon or tofu too. Also, I like using Delallo Foods pasta. It’s great quality, texture and cooks up perfectly every time. For this dish I used their cavatappi noodle and it tasted great!
I love this recipe because you can really make it your own. It’s one of those dishes that your family will love, and that will be added to your “go-to dinner” rotation in no time. If you have leftover veggies from the night before simply chop them up and add them to the dish. Or if you are looking for a lighter salad to serve with the meal, try my brussel spout and kale salad with lemon ginger dressing. Ginger can help aid in healthy digestion too!
Lemon Butter Pasta with Seared Scallops
- pasta pot
- saute pan
- ½ pound cavatappi pasta I use Delallo Foods brand
- 6 tablespoons butter 4 for the saue and 2 to sear the scallops
- 2 tablespoon olive oil extra for drizzling over the pasta
- ½ cup shallots finely diced
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic minced small
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cracked black pepper
- ¾ pound fresh scallops about 8 scallops: 3-4 per person
- 1.5 tablespoons lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil and some extra to garnish the dish
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Shaved parmesan cheese for garnish
- Boil a pot of water and season it with salt.
- Cook your pasta according to the directions on the bag. Drain off the pasta water using a colander. Drizzle the pasta with olive oil and set it aside.
- In a large sauté pan add the butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and finely diced shallots. Let them begin to sweat in the pan.
- Next, you’ll add the salt, pepper, lemon juice, basil and peas. Let everything simmer in the pan for about 5 minutes.
- Once well combined, add the noodles and stir well. Turn heat to low.
Prepare the scallops:
- In a separate skillet add about 2-3 tablespoons of butter or oil.
- Remove the scallops from the package and pat them dry using a paper towel or kitchen towel. Removing the excess moisture will help them get a nice brown sear.
- Season them with salt and pepper.
- Once the scallops are prepared, heat the pan over medium / high heat. When the butter is hot, add the scallops to the pan. You will want to hear them begin to sear as you add them to the pan. Cook for about 1.5 minutes on each side. This may slightly vary based on the thickness of the scallop.
- Once they have a light golden brown sear, add them to the pan with the pasta.
- Garnish the dish with some extra basil and parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!