Layered mini-heart cakes for Valentine’s Day, because cooking at home is the only way to celebrate!
When I was a waitress, I always would work on Valentine’s Day and I couldn’t help but notice how every restaurant would increase their prices, give you the smallest portions imaginable, and play horrible elevator music in the background. Customers would give each other blank stares, hardly speak and head home with empty wallets.
To me, this is the antithesis of a proper Valentine’s day. I feel that cooking at home is the best way to celebrate with the one / ones you love. Think about it, you get to spend time together in the kitchen, enjoy some laughs, hopefully not burn anything but if you do, there is always wine! Does it get any better?
Oh, and now you can bake these adorable layered mini-heart desserts too! Delicious and cute these tiny cakes make a great addition to any Valentine’s Day menu!
So, let’s get this recipe started!
What You’ll Need:
1 Healthyish Sweet Beet Kit (makes 2 layered mini-heart cakes)
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
8 Tablespoons 2% milk
1 pinch of patience
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grab a small mixing bowl and combine the 4 cake mix pouches, butter and milk. Whisk until well blended.
- Grab 4 of the unbleached baking cups out of your Healthyish baking kit.
- Lightly spray them with cooking spray.
- Evenly distribute the batter amongst the 4 baking cups.
- Bake for 12- 13 minutes.
- Allow the mini cakes too completely cool.
- Once cool, flip them over for a flat surface.
- Grab the frosting pouches from your kit and spread all 4 mini cakes with the frosting.
- Use a sharp knife to make a light line in the frosting. This will act as a guide for you as you begin to shape your cakes into hearts.
- Cut the bottom portion of the cake into a V-shape.
- Make a small V-shape cut at the top of the cake as well.
- Gently shave the edges to round-out the heart shape.
- Lightly spread the frosting and be sure to cover the line.
- Repeat this process for all of the cakes.
- Once complete, you can easily stack them on top of one another to form 2 layered mini-heart cakes!
Decorate as you desire and ENOJY!
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Welcome to Healthyish! I am so glad you’re here.
Together we will reinvent classic recipes and make them Healthyish!
Which means they’ll be lighter on calories. Include healthy, clean ingredients, AND super easy to make. I will also be sharing some fitness tips and self-care practices for beginners.
So, let’s get started!