YIELDS:2 serving PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 15 minutes TOTAL TIME: 30
Personally, I love a well-balanced salad. I enjoy a little crunch in each bite paired with a light citrus dressing. Add in loads of healthy veggies and I am in salad wonderland.
And this recipe does not disappoint. It is packed with roasted kale, brussel sprouts, crisp green apple and crunchy cashews. Finished with my tangy lemon ginger dressing, this recipe checks all the boxes.
What makes it Healthyish
This one is easy! It’s loaded with nutrient-dense veggies and tossed with a light healthy dressing. What’s great is that this salad can double as a side with dinner too! It makes 4 light servings as a side dish or two large servings as a chilled salad.
- 8-10 kale leaves
- 10- 12 large brussel sprouts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ green apple
- ¼ cup crushed cashews
- Salt and pepper
Lemon Ginger Dressing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- ¼ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- Juice from 1 ripe lemon
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grab a baking tray and lightly spray it with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Next, you’ll clean your kale and brussel sprouts. De-stem and roughly chop the kale. Add it to the baking tray. Next, you’ll slice your brussel sprouts into thirds. Add them to the baking tray.
3. Gently toss your brussel sprouts and kale in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 10 minutes. At the 10-minute mark remove them from the oven and toss everything around. Bake for 5 more minutes. Once fully baked remove from the oven and set aside.
4. Prepare Dressing: while the veggies cool, you will prepare the dressing. In a small mixing bowl combine the olive oil, lemon juice, fresh grated ginger, and garlic paste. Whisk well and set aside.
5. Next, you will thinly slice the green apple and crush the cashews into smaller pieces. I do this by adding the cashews to a Ziploc bag and gently rolling a can over them.
6. Finally, we can assemble the salad. In a large mixing bowl toss the brussel sprouts, kale, green apple slices, and dressing together. Mix well. Finish the dish with the crushed cashews and serve!
The lemon in the dressing will help prevent the apple from browning prematurely!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer, fitness junkie and owner of the Healthyish brand. She loves taking everyday eats and making them Healthyish. Sarah defines being Healthyish as a lifestyle centered around living light, fit and fun with a healthy dose of “ISH” from time to time. Sarah’s work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital). Sarah lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!