Cut back on red meat consumption with this delicious plant-based “ground beef” taco recipe. This recipe is so delicious and satisfying. I was completely blown away by how flavorful and meat-like this vegan ground beef tastes.
When cooked, the “beef” gets slightly crispy on the outside and is hearty and filling. The texture resembles ground beef and even has the light brown color. Season with flavorful spices, and this plant based ground beef is definitely taco grade!
What Makes it Healthyish?
Loaded with cauliflower, nuts, tofu and mushrooms this plant-based beef recipe is filled with body nourishing vitamins and nutrients.
In fact, cauliflower is packed with fiber which helps aid in healthy digestion. Mushrooms are a rich source of selenium, which supports the immune systems and helps prevent damage to the bodies cells. Finally, cashews have been shown to reduce bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol!
These are just some of the amazing and healthful properties found in this recipe. So, let’s get started!
Plant Based “Ground Beef” Tacos
- saute pan
- mixing bowl
Vegan “Ground Beef” Tacos
- 1 cup cauliflower pearls
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup unsalted raw cashews
- 1/2 block tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 Tortillas
- Sautéed onion
- Sautéed red bell pepper
- Diced tomatoes
- Vegan Sour Cream – Kite Hill
- Avocado slices
- Shredded dairy free cheese – Daiya
- Hot sauce / taco sauce
- Press moisture out of 1 block of tofu. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cauliflower pearls and set aside.
- Grab your food processor. Add the mushrooms and chop until they are in small pieces. Remove the mushrooms from the food processor and add them to the bowl with the cauliflower pearls.
- Next, using the food processor chop the cashews into small pieces. Remove the chopped cashews and add them to the mushroom, cauliflower mixture. Blend until well combined.
- In a large sauté pan, over medium heat add 1 tablespoon earth balance butter.
- Add the mushroom, cashew, cauliflower mixture into the pan.
- Using your hands crumb up ½ block of tofu over the mushroom, cashew, and cauliflower mixture. Begin stirring until well combined.
- Add in your spices. (Garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cayenne powder, and cumin powder. Blend well.
- Cook for about 10 – 15 minutes until the beef begins to get slightly crispy on the outside. Once cooked, turn off heat and assemble tacos.
- Assemble Ground Beef Tacos:
- Grab your flour tortilla or hard-shell taco and add a layer of “beef”.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- I used shredded dairy free cheese, avocado slices, vegan sour cream, sautéed onion and peppers, fresh herbs and HOT SAUCE! Makes about 4 tacos.
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!