Plant Based “Ground Beef” Tacos
Cut back on your red meat consumption with this delicious plant-based “ground beef” taco recipe. This dinner recipe is so delicious and satisfying. I was completely blown away by how flavorful and meat-like this vegan ground beef turned out. Perfect for taco Tuesday, this plant based ground beef taco recipe is a must try.
About this recipe
When cooked, the plant-based “ground beef” gets slightly crispy on the outside which add so much flavor and depth to this recipe. The texture resembles ground beef and even has the light brown color. Seasoned with flavorful spices, this plant based ground beef is definitely taco worthy.
You will want to make sure that you soak the raw unsalted cashews in water overnight. This will help soften them so they aren’t too hard in the recipe. If you forget to soak overnight, 5-6 hours at room temperature will work fine too. Be sure to drain off the water and pat them dry before adding them to the food processor.
You will also want to make sure you press out all excess moisture from the tofu. This will help the tofu to get slightly crispy in the pan which tastes so delicious. Simply use a paper towel or kitchen towel to press out all the moisture. If you have a tofu press, that will work too.
This recipe makes 2 small tacos per person. Serves 2 people. The nutritional values below include the flour tortillas as well.
About these ingredients
Loaded with cauliflower, nuts, tofu and mushrooms this plant-based ground beef recipe is filled with body nourishing vitamins and nutrients. In fact, cauliflower is packed with fiber which helps aid in healthy digestion. Mushrooms are a rich source of selenium, which supports the immune systems and helps prevent damage to the body’s cells. Finally, cashews have been shown to reduce bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol. These are just some of the amazing and healthful properties found in this recipe.
Store any leftover ground beef in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To reheat, simply microwave the beef until it is heated through. You can also add it to a non-stick skillet to reheat as well. Looking for more plant-based dinner recipes? Try my vegan creamy Alfredo pasta or my crispy tofu with spicy brown sauce and mango salsa.
Plant Based “Ground Beef” Tacos
Vegan “Ground Beef” Tacos
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped into dime sized pieces
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, rinsed and dried
- ½ cup unsalted raw cashews, soaked overnight in water to soften
- ½ block super firm tofu, press out the moisture
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 taco shells or flour tortillas
- sautéed onions
- sautéed red bell pepper
- diced tomatoes
- vegan sour cream , Kite Hill
- avocado slices
- shredded dairy free cheese , Daiya
- hot sauce / taco sauce
- saute pan
- mixing bowl
Prepare the tofu
- Using a paper towel or clean kitchen towel, press the moisture out of the tofu. Set aside.
Prepare the cauliflower, mushrooms and cashews
- Grab your food processor. Add the cauliflower and roughly chop it until it's in small pieces. Remove the cauliflower from the food processor and set it aside.
- Grab your food processor. Add the mushrooms and roughly chop them until they are in small pieces. Remove the mushrooms from the food processor and set them aside.
- Next, using the food processor roughly chop the cashews into small pieces. Remove the chopped cashews from the food processor and set them aside.
Cook the beef:
- In a large sauté pan, over medium heat add butter.
- Add the roughly chopped mushroom, cashew, and cauliflower into the pan.
- Using your hands, crumble up the ½ block of tofu over the mushroom, cashew, and cauliflower mixture. Begin stirring until well combined.
- Add the spices, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cayenne powder, and cumin powder. Blend well.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until the "beef" begins to get slightly crispy on the outside and the cauliflower has softened. Once fully cooked, turn off heat and assemble tacos.
Assemble ground "beef" tacos:
- Grab your flour tortilla or hard-shell taco and add a layer of “beef”. Top with garnishes and enjoy.