Soup season is upon us! Which is why you need this recipe for Healthyish veggie soup with orzo pasta. It’s easy to make, and packed with loads of immune-boosting vitamins our bodies crave this time of year.
So, let’s get started!
What You’ll Need: Serves 8
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 medium sized carrots (washed and peeled)
- 5 stocks of celery
- 1 medium sized sweet onion
- 1 medium sized yellow squash
- 1 medium sized zucchini
- 1 can of chick peas
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 32oz container of organic chicken broth (extra bouillon cubes if desired)
- salt, pepper, red chili flakes, parsley
- 2 cups orzo pasta
- 1 lemon
- Grilled tortillas for soaking
- Grab a stock pot and add in the butter an olive oil. Let simmer over low heat.
- Next, you’ll grab your mandoline and slice the carrots into evenly sized pieces. When finished add your carrots to the pot and stir them together with the butter and olive oil. Medium / low heat.
- Add in your 5 stocks of celery. No need to cut them down, as we will be removing them from the pot later.
4. While the carrots are cooking, dice your sweet onion into small pieces. Mix it in with the carrots and butter. Gently stir everything together.
5. Next, you will slice your zucchini and squash down the center. Be sure to remove the core using a metal spoon. This will prevent your squash and zucchini from getting soggy in the soup.
6. Once the core is removed, cut your squash and zucchini into even, bite-sized cubes. Add everything into the pot and gently stir the ingredients together.
7. Wash and cut your red bell pepper into bite-sized pieces and add it to the mixture.
8. Add in your 32oz container of organic chicken or vegetable stock. I like to use Pacific brand organic chicken stock. Feel free to add in additional bouillon cubes for more flavor.
9. Add in 1 can of crushed tomatoes, juice too!
10. Drain and add in 1 can of chick peas. I like to remove the chick pea skin before adding them into the soup, but this step is optional.
10. Season with salt, pepper, red chili flakes and parsley to your liking.
11. Let simmer for 30 minutes over low to medium heat. Remove celery stocks from the soup before serving.
12. In a separate pot, boil water and cook about 2 cups of orzo pasta. Once the pasta is cooked, lightly drizzle it with olive oil and set it aside.
PRO TIP: Do NOT add your pasta into your soup until you are ready to serve it. That way it will not soak up all of your broth.
13. Grab a small bowl, add a layer of orzo pasta, and a ladle full of veggie soup and broth, and garnish with a slice of fresh lemon. The lemon juice will brighten the soup and really make the flavor pop. Finally, add a few pieces of grilled tortilla, and ENJOY!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughWelcome to the Healthyish Foods Blog. We’re glad you’re here! The purpose of this blog is to provide you with tips and reccomendations on how to live a Healthyish life! We will also provide you with recipes and ideas on ways that you can use your DIY organic baking kits at home.