The holidays are such a fun time of year. The family is together sharing laughs, memories and perhaps a few libations. One way to soak up all that FUN is with a good “stick to your ribs” kind of breakfast. While this recipe is more on the “ish” side, it’s a great way to keep your family and friends full while you work on preparing your holiday feast.
What You Need: Serves 4 (2 pieces each)
½ cup milk
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla flavor
2 teaspoons maple syrup
8 slices of bread
- Grab a clean plate and add all of the ingredients listed above together. (except the bread)
- Gently whisk everything together until the mixture is well blended.
- Once blended, dip each piece of bread in the mixture until both sides are fully coated. *Do not let the bread sit in the mixture otherwise it will get soggy and fall apart. (dip quick)
- Add butter to your pan and cook the French toast until each side is lightly browned.
- Add fresh fruit, powdered sugar, and Canadian maple syrup before serving. (Canadian maple syrup is the best!)
Stale bread works best when making French toast. If you use soft bread it will completely fall apart before you even make it to the pan. Also, what’s great about this recipe is that you can put your Vanilla Maple French Toast in your favorite Le Creuset baking dish and keep it warm in the oven. (for those not so early risers….) You should also consider setting up a bloody mary or mimosa bar. This way your guests can help themselves while you’re doing your thing in the kitchen.
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Welcome to Healthyish! I am so glad you’re here.
Together we will reinvent classic recipes and make them Healthyish!
Which means they’ll be lighter on calories. Include healthy, clean ingredients, AND super easy to make. I will also be sharing some fitness tips and self-care practices for beginners.
So, let’s get started!