The holidays are such a fun time of year. The family is together sharing laughs, memories and perhaps a few libations. One way to soak up all that FUN is with a good “stick to your ribs” kind of breakfast. While this recipe is more on the “ish” side, it’s a great way to keep your family and friends full while you prepare your holiday feast.
What You Need: Serves 4 (2 pieces each)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla flavor
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 8 slices of almost stale bread
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- Grab mixing bowl and whisk together your eggs, milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla, and maple syrup.
- Once blended, dip each piece of bread in the mixture until both sides are fully coated. **Do not let the bread sit in the mixture otherwise it will get soggy and fall apart. (dip quick)
- Add butter to a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Cook the French toast until each side is lightly browned.
- Top with fresh fruit and powdered sugar before serving. Serve with a side of warm Canadian maple syrup.
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!