Hosting a dinner party this weekend? Want to impress your guests? Then we have the perfect recipe for you! Our Healthyish roasted chicken is simple to prepare and packed with flavor.
Seriously guys, my husband can be a really picky eater. He likes everything to be prepared a “certain way.” And even he fell in love with this dish without me having to make any modifications. The chicken is super tender and the pan gravy is out of this world.
And for dessert be sure to bake up some Healthyish lemon cakes with vanilla bean frosting. The tangy lemon dessert with a cup of coffee or espresso is the perfect way to end this amazing meal. Plus, your guests will be blown away by these perfectly portioned mini cakes.
So, let’s get started!
What You’ll Need:
Juice from 1 lemon
Salt / cracked peppercorns
1/3 cup olive oil – the good stuff
italian parsley – chopped
1 whole chicken 3-4 lb. – giblets removed
Directions: Serves 2 – 3
- Remove your chicken from the bag and rinse it well under cold water. Be sure to remove the giblets and pat dry.
- Next, you will remove the spine of the bird and butterfly it. This will allow it to cook more evenly and it will be easier to marinate.
- Once dry, you will want to cover the entire bird with salt. I use kosher salt but regular table salt will work well too. Use a generous amount because this will help soften the bird. Cover both sides front and back. I use about 1 tablespoon.
- In a separate bowl, you will mix together the lemon juice, olive oil, chopped Italian parsley and cracked peppercorns. Pour this mixture over the bird and use your hands to ensure that you get the marinade in every crack and crevice. Cover both sides of the bird really well.
- Next, you will seal the bird in an air tight container for 24 – 48 hours. After about 12 hours you will flip the bird over so the other side gets a chance to sit in the marinade.
- Once you’re ready to bake it, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pull out a sheet pan and cover it with parchment paper.
- Remove the bird from the tupperware, and set it breast side up on the parchment paper. Pour the remaining juice / marinade on top of the bird.
- Bake for 45 minutes – then pull the bird from the oven to baste it with the pan juice.
- Put the bird back in the oven for another 10 minutes. Repeat this basting process.
- Once the chicken browned and is to your preferred crispiness, remove it from the oven and allow it to rest.
Quarter the chicken, serve and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Welcome to Healthyish! I am so glad you’re here.
Together we will reinvent classic recipes and make them Healthyish.
Which means they’ll include light, healthy and clean ingredients that your body will crave (with the occasional ISH). I will also be sharing some fitness and self-care tips for beginners.
So, let’s get started!