Hosting a dinner party this weekend? Want to impress your guests? Then we have the perfect recipe for you! Our Healthyish roasted chicken is simple to prepare and packed with flavor.
My husband is notoriously a very picky eater. And he even fell in love with this dish without me having to make any modifications. The chicken is super tender and the pan gravy is out of this world.
So, let’s get started!
What You’ll Need:
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Salt / cracked peppercorns
- 1/3 cup olive oil – the good stuff
- Italian parsley – chopped
- 1 whole chicken 3-4 lb. – giblets removed
Directions: Serves 2 – 3
- Remove your chicken from the bag and rinse it well under cold water. Be sure to remove the giblets and pat dry.
- Next, you’ll spatchcock the bird which is removing the spinal column and butterfly it. This will allow it to cook more evenly and it will be easier to marinate.
- Pat your bird dry and cover with a generous amount of salt. I use kosher salt but regular table salt will work well too. Cover both sides front and back.
- In a separate bowl, you will mix together the lemon juice, olive oil, chopped Italian parsley and cracked peppercorns.
- Pour this mixture over the bird and use your hands to ensure that you get the marinade in every crack and crevice. Cover both sides of the bird really well.
- Next, you will seal the bird in an air tight container for 24 – 48 hours. After about 12 hours you will flip the bird over so the other side gets a chance to sit in the marinade that has settled to the bottom of the container.
- Once you’re ready to bake it, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pull out a sheet pan and cover it with parchment paper.
- Remove the bird from the container and set it breast side up on the parchment paper. Pour the remaining juice / marinade on top of the bird.
- Cook for a total of 55-60 minutes. Basting the bird with pan juice from time to time.
- Once the chicken is nicely browned to your preferred crispiness, remove it from the oven and allow it to rest.
Quarter the chicken, serve and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer, fitness junkie and owner of the Healthyish brand. She loves taking everyday eats and making them Healthyish. Sarah defines being Healthyish as a lifestyle centered around living light, fit and fun with a healthy dose of “ISH” from time to time. Sarah’s work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital). Sarah lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!