Oven roasted eggplant slathered in tasty gochujang BBQ sauce and baked in the oven is the most delicious way to get your veggies. Pair it with some crispy bok choy and pan-seared mushrooms and this dinner is a vegetarian delight.
Gochujang BBQ Eggplant with Bok Choy and Pan-Seared Mushrooms
Servings: 2 people
- baking tray
- 1 eggplant
- 2 heads of bok choy
- ½ white onion
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Gochujang BBQ sauce
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- You will want to sweat the bitterness and moisture out of the eggplant. To do this, simply slice the eggplant length wise into 4 evenly-sized pieces. (about ½ inch thick)
- Next, you will coat one side of the eggplant with salt and let it rest for 30 minutes. The salt will pull the bitterness and moisture out form the eggplant. Simply rinse the eggplant in the sink and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Then quarter your bok choy and spray it with a light coating of olive oil cooking spray. Set aside.
- Next you’ll grab a baking try and spray it with non-stick spray. Add your bok choy, and eggplant. Brush the eggplant with your gochujang BBQ sauce. Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees or until the BBQ sauce begins to caramelize.
- While the eggplant and bok choy are baking, you will pan-roast your mushrooms and onion. In a medium-sized skillet over medium /high heat add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the mushrooms and the diced onion into the pan and let them brown. Once they have a nice brown sear, you’ll deglaze the pan with white wine and be sure to let all of the wine cook off. Set aside.
- Pull the eggplant from the oven, sprinkle on some toasted sesame seeds and top everything with the pan-seared mushrooms. Serve and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer, fitness junkie and owner of the Healthyish brand. She loves taking everyday eats and making them Healthyish. Sarah defines being Healthyish as a lifestyle centered around living light, fit and fun with a healthy dose of “ISH” from time to time. Sarah’s work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital). Sarah lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!