Ground Chicken Chili
Perfect for game day or any day of the week, this ground chicken chili recipe is a must try. Loaded with vegetables, beans, lean ground chicken and seasonings, you’re going to love this recipe. Plus, it’s lighter than traditional chili so you can feel good enjoying this recipe.
This recipe post is sponsored by Smart Chicken. I was compensated for my time. However, all opinions are my own.
About this Ground Chicken Chili Recipe
For this chili recipe, I used Smart Chicken’s chicken breasts. Simply slice the breast meat into one-inch-thick slices and added it to a food processor. Buzz the meat until it is well ground and free of any lumps. My local grocer does not carry their ground chicken yet, so this is a great way to make homemade ground chicken in a pinch. You can also simply use their ground chicken product as well, if it is in your local store.
If you’ve been in the Healthyish club for a while, you know I am obsessed with Smart Chicken. Their products are the reason I started eating meat again after 9 years. Organic Smart Chickens are exclusively fed a certified organic, certified non-GMO diet, and are never given antibiotics, hormones, or animal by-products. Their program is certified humane by HFAC (Humane Farm Animal Care) and every chicken is free to roam, with access to outdoor pastures. All Smart Chicken is pure air chilled, without added water. The result is the best-tasting, highest-quality fresh chicken on the market.
When making this chili you only need your Crock Pot and a few simple ingredients. Make sure the Crock Pot is set to HIGH 6 hour setting. This recipe makes 6 servings. Please see below for nutritional information.
Ground Chicken Chili Ingredients
Ground Chicken – I like using ground chicken because it is lean and tender. You could also use ground turkey or beef.
Olive Oil – Use some olive oil to coat the bottom of the crock pot before adding all of the ingredients.
Onion – Sweet onion works best for this recipe, but white onion would work too. Be sure to peel it and dice it into small even-sized pieces.
Sweet Potato – For this recipe, I used a sweet potato. Be sure to peel the sweet potato first before cubing it into even sized pieces. You could also use butternut squash or pumpkin in this recipe instead.
Celery – Celery add a fresh crunch to this recipe. Be sure to slice it into thin even-sized slices. You want everything to be able the same size so it cooks evenly.
Diced Tomatoes – Use two cans of diced tomatoes with the juice. The diced tomatoes add more texture and flavor than crushed tomatoes in this recipe.
Tomato Soup – Use one can of Campbell’s tomato soup for this recipe. It helps thicken the sauce and adds a delicious tomato flavor.
Kidney Beans – Rinse and drain one can of kidney beans for this recipe.
Pinto Beans – Rinse and drain one can of pinto beans for this recipe.
Seasoning – Combine salt, chili powder, cumin, paprika, black pepper and add it to the chili.
Bone Broth – Add some Smart Chicken bone broth to this recipe. You can also use chicken stock instead.
Store any leftover chili in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. Top with sour cream, diced onions, shredded cheese, cilantro or tortilla chips as garnish.
Looking for more recipes?
Ground Chicken Chili
- 1 lb. ground chicken, Smart Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1+¼ cup sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 1+¼ cup celery, sliced thin
- 1+¼ cup sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with juice , 15.5 ounces each
- 1 can tomato soup, Campbells 10.5 ounces
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained 15.5 ounces
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained 15.5 ounces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chicken bone broth
- crock pot
- Grab a Crock Pot and set it to HIGH 6 hours.
- Spray a skillet with non-stick spray and place it over medium heat.
- Add the ground chicken and cook until browned. Use a wooden spoon to break up the chicken.
- Next, add olive oil, diced onion, sliced celery, peeled and diced sweet potato, diced tomatoes, rinsed and drained pinto and kidney beans, tomato soup, bone broth, salt, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, and paprika. Stir well.
- Add the browned ground chicken to the Crock Pot along with everything else.
- Simmer for 4-6 hours or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- If it gets too tight, add more bone broth.
- Serve hot with sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, cilantro, and diced red onion as garnish.