Fried Halloumi Salad
Looking for an easy and delicious salad recipe? Try my fried halloumi salad. Made from seven simple ingredients this fried halloumi salad is perfect any night of the week. Plus, the halloumi is so flavorful, you’ll have a hard time not eating this entire bowl.
About this recipe
This Mediterranean inspired recipe is the perfect way to start any meal. I’d recommend enjoying this with a light fish dish. Maybe seared scallops or a simple flaky white fish cooked in a white wine butter. Another great recipe to try with this fried halloumi salad is my mahi mahi in lemon butter. It’s light, healthy and delicious.
If you’re not familiar with halloumi you’re going to want to change that. Halloumi is a semi-hard cheese typically made from goat or sheep milk. It has a high smoke point which makes it perfect for grilling or frying. Stored in brine, this cheese has a pleasant saltiness that is out of this world good. Basically, once it’s fried it creates a crispy layer of cheese on the outside while remaining soft and gooey in the center. It’s delicious.
How to cook halloumi
Simply heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add cooking spray and place the halloumi down in the hot pan. Sear the halloumi for two to three minutes per side or until it is golden brown on both sides. It is very easy to flip so don’t worry. Remove it from the pan and add it on top of the salad.
Store any leftover halloumi covered in the refrigerator for three to four days. You can enjoy it chilled or reheat it. Looking for more salad recipes? Try my easy cucumber mango salad or my five ingredient beet and watermelon salad. Both are delicious.
Fried Halloumi Salad
- 1 block halloumi, 8 ounces
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves
- 3-4 ounces arugula
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic reduction
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste
- mixing bowl
- Heat a skillet to medium high heat. Gently spray it with olive oil cooking spary and place the halloumi in the pan. Sear for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown on each side. It is easy to flip, so do not worry.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the arugula, sliced red onion, sliced tomatoes, olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Toss until well combined.
- Place the salad on a platter and top with the fried halloumi.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction and serve immediately. The cheese can be sliced so it is easy to share!
- NOTE: If you wait too long to serve, the cheese will firm back up.