This toasted pine nut and cherry salad is 5 simple ingredients yet packs some serious flavor. It’s bright, fresh and beyond delicious. The creamy, tangy goat cheese goes perfectly with the sweet cherries. And the toasted pine nuts add some crunch and an extra punch of nuttiness that compliments the dish. You guys are going to LOVE this combo. It’s honestly one of my favorite salads of all time!
I also made a simple yet delicious red wine vinaigrette that works really well with this salad. Personally, I like to serve the dressing on the side because a little can go a long way. But, I highly recommend trying this dressing along with the salad. It tastes so good together!
What makes it Healthyish?
Cherries are known for their anti-inflammatory properties. They help decrease inflammation in the joints and muscles by lowering uric acid levels in the body. This can decrease painful arthritis and even help relieve symptoms of gout. (1)
Toasted Pine Nut and Cherry Salad
- mixing bowl
- 1.5 cups sliced cherries remove pit
- 2 heaping handfuls of spinach
- 1 heaping handful of arugula
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/3 cup pine nuts toasted in a skillet
Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- cracked black pepper
- Grab a large serving platter.
- Add the washed and dried spinach and arugula lettuce to the platter.
- Slice the cherries using a knife and make sure the pits are removed. Add sliced cherries to the salad.
- Next, you grab a small skillet and over medium heat toast your pine nuts. They will toast quickly so keep moving them around in the pan, so they get evenly toasted.
- Remove from heat. Once the pine nuts are cool, add them to the salad.
- Add crumbled goat cheese.
Prepare the red wine vinaigrette:
- Grab a mixing bowl and whisk together the olive oil and red wine vinegar. Blend until slightly creamy in texture.
- Add the Dijon mustard, honey, salt and a few cracks of black pepper. Whisk well.
- Serve on the side with the salad. ENJOY!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a home cook, recipe developer and the creator of the brand, Healthyish®. Sarah believes that living Healthyish® is a lifestyle centered around the 80/20 rule. Her beliefs are directly reflected in her recipes which are mostly plant-based. (but sometimes not) Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!