English Cucumber Avocado Salad
Light, healthy and flavorful, this English cucumber avocado salad is the perfect summer salad or side dish. The sesame soy dressing is slightly sweet and acidic, which tastes so good with the fresh cucumbers and creamy avocado. I topped mine with crushed peanuts and a few red pepper flakes for a touch of spice. It was perfect.
About this recipe
Using a mandoline, slice the cucumbers into thin even slices. This is a very important step for this recipe. It is also important that you use English cucumbers. English cucumbers are longer and thinner than traditional cucumbers. They give you smaller rounds which are easier to eat. They also tend to have more of a crunch than other cucumbers.
Toss the salad with the dressing right before you are ready to eat it. Because cucumbers can carry a lot of moisture, you do not want to let the dressing sit on the salad. It is best to toss everything together (minus the dressing) and refrigerate it. Then add the dressing as a final step before you are ready to eat it.
You can peel and slice the avocado in half, then pour some of the dressing in the avocado for dipping. Using your fork, slowly cut away at the avocado with each bite of salad. It’s such a fun and delicious way to enjoy this dish. Alternatively, you could cube or slice the avocado as well.
As far as toppings go, I like adding crushed peanuts for a little crunch and added flavor. However, cashews would work really well too. If you like a little spice, try sprinkling some red pepper flakes over the English cucumber avocado salad as well. Just be sure to add the toppings right before you serve the salad. Otherwise, the peanuts may soften from the moisture in the cucumbers, and it will not give you the same amount of crunch.
Best enjoyed the same day. However, you can refrigerate this summer salad in an airtight container. It will stay fresh for to 2-3 days. It might, however, get a little watery from the cucumbers.
English Cucumber Avocado Salad
Sesame Soy Dressing
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon warm water
Cucumber Avocado Salad
- 2 large English cucumbers
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut in half
- 4 scallions, chopped green and white parts
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- Crushed peanuts
- Red pepper flakes
Prepare the dressing:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the toasted sesame oil, olive oil, honey, rice vinegar, soy sauce, minced fresh ginger, minced fresh garlic, salt, and warm water. The warm water helps the honey melt into the other ingredients. Whisk until well combined. Set aside.
Prepare the salad:
- Using a mandoline, slice the cucumbers into thin even pieces.
- Add them to a bowl.
- Next, you’ll add the chopped cilantro, sesame seeds, and scallions. Toss until well combined. Refrigerate this portion of the salad until you are ready to use it.
Assemble the dish:
- Toss the cucumber mixture with the dressing, reserving some for the center of the avocado.
- Add the dressed cucumbers to a plate along with half of a peeled and pitted avocado.
- Add the reserved dressing in the center of the avocado, where the pit once rested.
- Next, top the salad with crushed peanuts and a few red pepper flakes.