Easy Bihon Pancit
Bihon pancit is a traditional Filipino dish. Pancit itself means noodle, and the dishes that are derived from them. Bihon pancit is a simple noodle dish that’s traditionally soy sauce mixed with some variation of protein and vegetables.
For this pancit recipe, I used maifun brown rice noodles. Traditionally, you would use bean threads, but any thin, long rice noodle will work. Also, for this recipe, I added some crispy garlic with chili oil. This too, is not traditional but I cannot resist a little spice with my noodle dishes. As a quick disclaimer, almost all of the chili oils I found online include MSG. So, if you’re sensitive to MSG, you may want to skip this step. Another option, would be to use hot sauce instead.
As far as protein options go, the choices are limitless. For this recipe, I used large shrimp. However, chicken, tofu, eggs or pork would all taste amazing too. You can also do a combination of proteins for a fun and Healthyish twist. Shrimp and tofu, chicken and shrimp, tofu and veggies, ok you get the idea.
I finished this dish with some fresh chopped cilantro. That said, you can top this recipe with anything you like. Sesame seeds, chopped jalapeno, crushed peanuts, and lime wedges all make great additions too.
Guys, this recipe is so easy and delicious you have to give it a try. I can almost guarantee that everyone in your family will love this recipe. As an added bonus, the entire dish comes together in under an hour.
Easy Bihon Pancit
- 12 large raw shrimp peeled and deveined , I left the tails on but that’s optional
- 4-5 ounces maifun brown rice noodles or bean threads – , bean thread are more traditional
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger , peeled and minced
- ½ cup veggie broth
- 1 large carrot – peeled and julienned, I cut my carrot in half before slicing it thin
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper – julienned
- 8 ounces baby Bella mushrooms – washed and dried
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice – fresh squeezed
- 2 teaspoons crunchy garlic with chili oil
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Crushed peanuts
- Lime wedges
- Sesame seeds
- 11-inch saute pan
- pasta pot
- Boil a pot of water and cook the maifun brown rice noodles according to the package. I cooked mine for 2 minutes so they were slightly al dente.
- Drain off the water using a colander. Spray the noodles with cold water to stop the cooking. Set them aside.
Prepare the sauce and shrimp:
- Grab an 11-inch / 3.5 quart sauce pan and gently spray it with cooking spray.
- Add the minced garlic and ginger over medium heat.
- Once the garlic and ginger begin to brown, add the veggie broth and deglaze the pan.
- Next, you’ll add the julienned bell pepper, carrots and mushrooms.
- Once the veggies begin to soften, add the soy sauce, brown sugar, crunchy garlic with chili oil, and lime juice. Stir well.
- Then, you’ll add the peeled and deveined shrimp. I used about 12 large shrimp.
- Simmer everything together until the shrimp are pink and no longer opaque. Make sure they are fully cooked through. Reduce the heat to low and toss in your maifun brown noodles.
- Once the noodles are well coated in the sauce, add everything to a platter.
- Top with cilantro and serve hot!