Creamy Vegetable Soup
This light and creamy vegetable soup is the perfect way to warm up on a chilly spring evening. Plus, this recipe is completely vegan too. Typically, I do not think of soup when developing springtime recipes. However, the winter is hanging on tight this year in Vail. So, a simple creamy vegetable soup feels right. Loaded with some of my favorite seasonal veggies like, asparagus, onions, brussel sprouts, and broccolini this vegan soup recipe is hard to resist.
About this Soup Recipe
What’s great is that this entire dish comes together in under an hour. Making it the perfect recipe any night of the week. Plus, this soup is so creamy, you’d never know that it is completely dairy free and vegan. The coconut milk adds a silky texture that tastes so good with all of the seasonal veggies.
When making this recipe, you’ll want to soften the veggies by sautéing them in a pan. You have the option to reserve some of the veggies has as a garnish for this dish. I highly recommend doing this, as the veggies hash adds extra texture and flavor to the soup. You can serve this dish with some French bread or a delicious baguette for dipping.
This soup is the perfect meal for those days when you want something warm and healthy to cozy up to. So, give this creamy homemade soup recipe a try.
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. To reheat, simply microwave the soup until it’s heated through. If the soup is too thick, you can add some water or vegetable broth to thin it back out. Looking for more dairy free soup recipes? Try my creamy onion soup or my cabbage soup with orzo pasta.
Creamy Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter , Earth Balance
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion , diced small, about 1 cup
- 3-4 stalks celery, sliced, about 1 cup
- 3-4 stalks broccolini , diced, about 1 cup
- 8-10 stalks asparagus, chopped, about 1 cup
- 8-10 brussel sprouts , quartered, about 1 cup
- 3.5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice , fresh squeezed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- soup pot
- Grab a soup pot and place it over medium / high heat. Add your vegan butter and olive oil.
- Next, you will add all of your diced veggies.
- Let everything sweat over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes or until the veggies are soft and starting to get brown. Option to reserve about 3 tablespoons of the caramelized veggie mixture as a garnish.
- Next, you will add the veggie broth and deglaze the pan. Make sure to scrape up any of the crispy veggies from the pan. Let everything simmer over medium heat.
- Then, you will add the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and stir well.
- Next, carefully pour the mixture into your blender.
- Blend well until everything is creamy and smooth. (no chucks)
- Pour the soup back into your pan. It should be a beautiful green color.
- As a finishing touch, add the coconut milk and stir well. This will make the soup creamy and delicious.