Creamy Spinach Tuna Melt
Reinvent your lunchtime routine with this creamy spinach tuna melt recipe. This open faced sandwich is easy to make and beyond delicious. Perfect for lunch or a quick mid-day snack, this creamy spinach tuna melt sandwich recipe is guaranteed to be a hit.
About this Tuna Melt Recipe
This is open face tuna melt sandwich recipe is perfect for lunch or as a mid-day snack. Creamy, easy to make and delicious this tuna melt sandwich will be added to your weekly rotation in no time.
There are a variety of ways you can enjoy this tuna melt mixture. Tuck it inside of a wrap or enjoy it with some sliced vegetables. Cucumber, carrots or celery would all work great for dipping.
When prepping this tuna melt recipe, be sure to drain off any excess liquid from the canned tuna. This will prevent the creamy tuna from being soggy. Also, if you are using bread be sure to lightly toast it before adding the tuna mixture. This will give the sandwich a touch more texture and make the bread more durable for lifting. Alternatively, you can use a small naan round piece of naan bread. Or you can use half of a toasted bagel.
Once you add the creamy tuna mixture to the toasted bread or bagel, top it with a slice of tomato and some shredded mozzarella cheese. Broil these open faced sandwichs for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Store any leftover tuna mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. This recipe make six servings. Please see below for nutritional information. Looking for more quick lunch recipes? Try my tuna noodle pasta salad or my easy chickpea curry salad.
Creamy Spinach Tuna Melt
- 2 cans wild tuna, 8 ounces total, drain juice
- 6 slices bread, lightly toasted, small naan bread works too
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup tomato, diced, about 1 medium to large tomato
- 5 ounces baby spinach, remove the stems, and give it a rough chop before adding it into the pan
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tomato, sliced and cut in halves
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- baking tray
- saute pan with sides
- In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, add the olive oil, garlic and onions. Once the onions are translucent, add the roughly chopped spinach and diced tomatoes. Let everything soften in the pan.
- Once the spinach is wilted, add the salt, pepper, cream cheese, 2% milk, Dijon mustard and parmesan cheese. Stir until well combined.
- Next, add the drained tuna. Fold all of the ingredients together until they are well combined and warmed through.
- Turn on the broiler in your oven.
- While the broiler is heating, place 5-6 pieces of lightly toasted bread or naan on a baking tray.
- Spoon the tuna melt mixture onto the bread. Top with half of a fresh tomato slice and some shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Broil for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!