Warm up with a bowl of this delicious creamy onion soup. It’s perfect for those days when you want something cozy and homemade. Made from a few simple ingredients, you can easy pull this recipe together in under 30 minutes. Easy to make, delicious and completely dairy free too! What are you waiting for?
This creamy onion soup recipe makes me feel so warm and cozy. The texture is just what you expect from a creamy soup without the cream and butter. This lightened up recipe is so good you’ll never miss the dairy. Enjoy this soup with some crusty bread, crackers or on its own. No matter what, you’re going to love this tasty recipe.
Creamy Onion Soup
- saute pan
- 2 tablespoon olive oil extra for the mushrooms
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 5-6 medium sized, white or yellow onions sliced
- 1.5 cups diced russet potato peel the potato and dice it into small evenly sized pieces
- 16.9 ounce chicken broth I used Smart Chicken’s Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh squeezed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut milk make sure it's mixed well before adding
- ½ cup shiitake mushrooms or chives for garnish
- Add the olive oil, minced garlic and sliced onions into a large sauté pan. Simmer over medium heat until the onions are translucent, not brown.
- Once the onions are translucent add the diced potatoes, salt and pepper. Make sure you peel the potatoe(s) and dice them into small, evenly sized pieces. This will ensure they cook evenly in the pan.
- Immediately add the chicken broth and lemon juice. Let everything simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Stir occasionally.
- While the potatoes soften, you can prepare your mushroom garnish.
- Simply add 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a separate skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook them until they are slightly crispy. Remove the mushrooms from the pan, season them with salt and set them aside.
- Once the potatoes are fork tender. Add everything into the blender.
- Buzz all of the ingredients together until the soup is smooth and creamy, no lumps.
- Pour the creamy soup back into the pan.
- Add the coconut milk and stir until it is well combined.
- Top with crispy mushrooms or chopped fresh chives. You could aslo use crispy onions too!
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!