Creamy Onion Soup
Warm up with a bowl of this delicious creamy onion soup. This dairy free onion soup recipe is perfect for days when you want something cozy and homemade. Made from a few simple ingredients, you can easy pull this onion soup recipe together in under 30 minutes. Easy to make, delicious and completely dairy free. What are you waiting for?
About this recipe
This creamy onion soup recipe makes me feel so warm and cozy. The texture is just what you’d expect from a creamy soup, except not does not include cream and butter. This dairy free soup recipe is so good. Enjoy a warm bowl of this soup with some crusty bread, Saltine crackers, or on its own. No matter what, you’re going to love this tasty recipe.
When prepping the potatoes for this creamy onion soup recipe, be sure to rinse and peel them. Then, you’ll want to dice them into small cubes about the size of a dime. Cutting them small will allow them to cook more quickly and evenly in the broth. Be sure to rinse them under cool water to remove any extra starch. Pat them dry before adding them to the pan.
If your soup begins to get to tight or thick, simply add more chicken broth. This will help loosen the soup back up. As a finishing touch, stir in the coconut milk last. This is a great way to smooth out the soup and give it a silky creamy texture. Top everything with the crispy mushrooms and chives. That said, you could also top it with a slice of toasted baguette too. This onion soup recipe is so tasty, I can guarantee you’ll be making it time and time again.
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until warmed through. Looking for more soup recipes? Try my cabbage soup with orzo pasta or my garlic ginger soup. Perfect for the cool fall weather.
Creamy Onion Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra for the mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5-6 medium sweet or yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 1.5 cups russet potato, peel and dice into small evenly sized pieces
- 16.9 ounce chicken broth, Smart Chicken’s Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut milk, make sure it's mixed well before adding
- ½ cup shiitake mushrooms, seared until slightly crispy
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped small
- saute pan
- Add olive oil, minced garlic and sliced onions to a large sauté pan. Simmer over medium heat until the onions are translucent, not brown.
- Once the onions are translucent add the prepared potatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Let everything simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Stir occasionally.
- While the potatoes cook, prepare the mushroom garnish.
- Simply add 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a separate skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook them until they are slightly crispy. Remove the mushrooms from the pan, season them with salt and set them aside.
- Once the potatoes are fork tender reduce the heat, add the lemon juice and stir until well combined. Next, carefully add everything into a blender.
- Buzz all of the ingredients together until the soup is smooth and creamy, no lumps. (keep the crispy mushrooms separate)
- Pour the creamy soup back into the pan.
- Add the coconut milk and stir until it is well combined.
- Top with crispy mushrooms or chopped fresh chives. You could aslo use crispy onions too!
- Serve immediately and enjoy!