Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken
Comfort food at its finest, this creamy garlic parmesan chicken recipe checks all the boxes. Easy to make, loaded with flavor, and completely satisfying. This dish is one that your entire family will enjoy.
For a lower carb option, skip the pasta and enjoy the chicken and veggies on their own. In an effort to keep this recipe on the lighter side, I used 2% milk and lite sour cream to thicken the sauce. That said, you can also substitute heavy cream, half and half, or whole milk if you prefer. If you do use one of these options, you can skip the sour cream. Another good option would be coconut milk but be warned it may change the flavor of the dish a bit.
I also used dried oregano in this recipe, but fresh oregano would work great as well. If you do not have Romano cheese handy, simply use four tablespoons of grated parmesan to bread the chicken. I like adding the Romano cheese as it adds a layer of flavor that is so delicious.
This creamy garlic parmesan chicken recipe is one of those meals that you will find yourself going back to time and time again. It’s simple yet so delicious.
Looking for more chicken recipes? Try my chicken Romano with fettuccine or my roasted chicken with creamy spinach and artichokes.
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- 4 ounces cooked ziti or any noodle shape you prefer.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb. chicken breasts- butterflied and pounded thin
- 4 tablespoons ap flour
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano, I used dried
- 1 cup onion diced – yellow or white
- 8 ounces sliced baby Bella mushrooms, washed and dried
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon ap flour, all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup lite sour cream, if you use half and half or heavy cream you can skip the sour cream
- pasta pot
- 11-inch 3.5 quart saute pan
- 2 plates for breading chicken
Prepare the pasta:
- Boil a pot of water and cook the noodles according to the package. I like to cook my pasta al dente as it will continue to cook in the sauce.
- Drain the water using a colander and drizzle the noodles with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Set them aside.
Prepare the chicken:
- Butterfly your chicken breasts and pound them thin using a mallet.
- Once pounded thin, season them with salt and pepper.
- Combine the ap flour, Romano cheese and parmesan cheese on a plate.
- Dredge the seasoned chicken through the flour cheese mixture until well coated on both sides. Repeat for all breasts.
- In an 11-inch 3.5 quart sauté pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and butter.
- Once hot, add the chicken. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
In the same pan, we will prepare the sauce:
- Add 1 tablespoon of ap flour to the pan with the chicken drippings, olive oil and butter.
- Next, you will add the minced garlic, diced onion, oregano, and mushrooms.
- Season the veggies with a little more salt and pepper.
- Once the veggies begin to soften and the garlic is fragrant, deglaze the pan with the chicken stock. Make sure to scrape up all of the tasty bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Next, you will add the 2% milk, sour cream, and grated parmesan cheese. Stir well and simmer over low heat.
Assemble the dish:
- Once all of the sauce ingredients are well combined, you will add the cooked pasta.
- Toss until the pasta is well coated in the sauce.
- Next, you will nestle the chicken back into the pan.
- Top with extra cracked black pepper and serve hot.