Creamy Dijon Chicken
This creamy Dijon chicken recipe is light, healthy and delicious. Instead of butter and heavy cream, I used coconut milk to thicken the sauce in this recipe. Coconut milk is healthier than heavy cream and just as delicious. In fact, coconut milk has less calories and less fat than heavy cream, which really helped lighten this dish without compromising the flavor.
I love this creamy Dijon chicken recipe because it’s delicious and easy to make. Actually, this entire dish can be made in under 30 minutes which is an added bonus for those busy weeknights.
Additionally, this entire meal is made in one pan, so clean up is a breeze. For a Healthyish twist, you can skip the parmesan cheese and swap out the chicken for tofu or tempeh to make this recipe completely vegan too.
Creamy Dijon Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup shallots , diced small
- 2-3 cloves garlic , minced
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 lb chicken breast, about 2 breasts
- salt and pepper, used to seaon the chicken
- 1/3 cup white wine, I used a sauvignion blanc
- 10-12 sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- 1 can coconut milk , 13.5 ounces
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 parmesan cheese, grated
- saute pan
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and gently pound it using a mallet.
- Pounding it will help the chicken to cook evenly. I also like to let the chicken sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before cooking. In my opinion, this makes the chicken juicier and more tender. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Next, in a large sauté pan with sides add the olive oil, shallots, garlic and thyme over medium heat.
- Once the shallot mixture becomes translucent and the thyme is fragrant, add the seasoned chicken breasts to the hot pan. Sear both sides until they have a light golden-brown sear. About 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Turn the heat down to medium / low.
- Next, you’ll deglaze the pan with the white wine. Let the white wine reduce by 50% before adding the coconut milk, Dijon mustard, sundried tomatoes, parmesan cheese and salt.
- Stir until everything is well combined.
- Simmer over low heat for 5-10 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through and the sauce begins to thicken.
- Enjoy with a side of pasta, or white rice. To keep it low carb you can also enjoy this recipe as is!