Crab and Corn Chowder
This crab and corn chowder recipe combines the delicious flavors of summer in one tasty bowl. Sweet corn kernels, juicy lump crab meat, and light yet satisfying broth brings this entire dish together. Plus, this entire recipe only takes 30-40 minutes to prepare. So, gather around the table because this corn chowder recipe will not last long.
About this recipe
This crab and corn chowder recipe is easy to make and loaded with flavor. Top this soup with some homemade halloumi croutons as a garnish. The crispy outside and salty cheese tastes amazing with the crab and corn. However, garlic naan bread or crispy tortilla strips would work really well too.
What’s great is that you can add whatever toppings you enjoy. Try sliced jalapeno or fresh chopped cilantro for some extra spice and flavor. Or you can simply add extra corn kernels and sliced red pepper. No matter how you dress it, this crab and corn chowder soup is incredible.
When prepping the potatoes be sure to cube them into small bite size pieces. This will also make it easier for them to cook in the broth. Dime size or slightly larger works best.
This recipe makes 4-6 servings. Please see below for nutritional information.
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. Store the halloumi croutons in a separate container so that the breading doesn’t soften from the broth. Looking for more soup recipes? Try my garlic ginger soup. It’s a great way to gear up for the cool fall months ahead.
Crab and Corn Chowder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 cups sweet onion, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups russet potato, diced small, skin on, about 2 medium potatoes
- 5-6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup celery, sliced, about 3 stalks
- 2 cups corn kernels, about 3 ears of grilled corn, reserve some kernels as a garnish
- ½ cup red bell peppers, sliced, extra as garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups lump crab meat
- 1.5 teaspoons old bay seasoning
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon flour + 2 tablespoons water, to form a slurry , slurry will slightly thicken when mixed in
- saute pan
- soup pot
- small mixing bowl
- In a large sauté pan, add butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Simmer the diced onion and minced garlic together in the pan with the butter and olive oil.
- Next, add the cubed potatoes and 5-6 cups of chicken broth. Bring the broth to a boil for about 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the sliced celery, sliced red pepper and grilled corn kernels. Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes.
- Prepare the crab meat.
- Drain off any liquid from the crab meat. Add 2 cups of the lump crab meat to a small bowl.
- Using a fork, gently break the crab meat apart. Add the paprika and old bay seasoning and gently toss everything together.
- Add the seasoned crab meat to the soup. Gently fold it into the rest of the soup.
- As a last step, add the slurry to help thicken the broth.
- Let everything simmer for 5-10 more minutes and then you are ready to serve.
- Add your favorite garnishes and enjoy!