Crab and Corn Chowder
This crab and corn chowder combines the delicious flavors of Summer in one tasty bowl! Sweet corn kernels, juicy lump crab meat, and light yet satisfying broth bring this entire dish together. So, gather around the table because this is one soup recipe that will not last long.
I love this crab and corn chowder recipe because it’s easy to make and loaded with flavor. I made my halloumi croutons as a garnish, but you could also enjoy this soup with a side of garlic naan bread, or crispy tortilla strips.
Other garnish options include, sliced jalapeno with really gives the soup some heat. You could try chopped fresh cilantro which is nice because it brings freshness to the soup. Or you could stick with some of the ingredients that are already in the soup, like extra corn kernels or sliced red pepper. No matter how you dress it, this soup is incredible!
As far as taste goes, the broth has a light crab flavor with tastes so good with the sweet corn. Add in the slightly spicy broth and this soup is the perfect balance of sweet, spicy and delicious!
Looking for more soup recipes? Try my garlic ginger immune boosting soup! It’s great as we gear up for the cool Fall months ahead.
Crab and Corn Chowder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 cups diced onion , white or yellow will work
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery , sliced about 3 stalks
- 1.5 cups russet potato , diced I left my skin on
- 2 cups corn kernels , about 3 ears of corn reserve some kernels as a garnish
- 1/2 cup sliced red bell peppers, extra as garnish
- 5-6 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes – optional
- 2 cups lump crab meat
- 1 teaspoon old bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon flour mixed with 2 tablespoons water to form a slurry , Slurry will slightly thicken the soup without making it too thick.
- halloumi croutons
- sliced jalapeno
- extra corn kernels
- sliced red pepper
- saute pan
- small mixing bowl
- In a large sauté pan with sides add the butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced white onion and minced garlic and let it begin to sweat. (or become translucent)
- Next, you’ll add the sliced celery and combine it with the onion and garlic.
- Add the diced potato, sliced red pepper and corn kernels. I used corn from the cobb which tastes great in this soup. Season with salt and pepper. Red pepper flakes optional.
- At the same time you add the potatoes, you will add 5-6 cups of chicken broth.
- Bring everything to a boil for about 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, you’ll prepare the crab meat.
- Drain off any liquid from the crab meat. Add 2 cups of the lump crab meat to a small bowl.
- Using a fork, gently break the crab meat apart. Add the paprika and old bay seasoning and gently toss everything together.
- Once the potatoes are fork tender reduce the heat to medium/ low and add the seasoned crab meat. Gently fold it into the rest of the soup.
- As a last step, you will add a flour slurry. A slurry is simply flour and water mixed separately in a small bowl and then added as a thickener to the soup base.
- For this recipe, you will use 1 tablespoon AP flour and 2 tablespoons water. Mix until a watery paste forms and then slowly add it into the soup.
- Let everything simmer for 5 more minutes and then you are ready to serve!
- Add your favorite garnishes and enjoy!