Cobb Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
Need a quick dinner recipe without a lot of fuss? Fix up this easy Cobb salad with cilantro lime dressing. Family style salad recipes make the perfect weeknight dinner. Easy to prepare and loaded with goodies, everyone in your family is sure to find a plate they’ll enjoy. Not to mention, this Cobb salad recipe is a fun way to get your family to eat their greens.
About this recipe
This Cobb salad with cilantro lime dressing is so delicious. It’s packed with seasonal favorites like grilled corn, large ripe tomatoes, grilled meats and zippy dressing. As a finishing touch, toss a few quick pickled onions over everything for some extra flavor.
When grilling the chicken you will want to season the chicken with salt and pepper. Let the chicken sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before adding it to the grill. Be sure to drizzle it with olive oil to prevent it from sticking. Once the chicken is cooked through, let it rest for 10-15 minutes to lock in all of the juices. Once it is cool, and has had time to rest, you can slice it for the salad.
Slice the chicken sausage link in half but not all the way through. This technique is called butterflying. Most chicken sausage is already cooked, so you will just need to heat the sausage on the grill and allow it to get a nice char.
When grilling the corn, make sure the husk is removed. The corn will only take 10 minutes to cook, but be sure to rotate it regularly to prevent burning. This Cobb salad recipe makes 6 light servings and 4 heartier servings. Please see the nutritional information below.
Store any leftover salad in an airtight container for two to three days. Any leftover dressing will last five to six days, covered and refrigerated. If you’re looking for more family-style salad recipes, be sure to try my salmon wedge salad with honey mustard dressing, or my cherry salad with toasted pine nuts. Both are great for sharing.
Cobb Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 1 lb. chicken breast , grilled, sliced – about two breasts
- 2 links chicken sausage, butterflied and grilled
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 avocado , peeled and sliced or cubed
- 2 ears corn , grilled, remove kernels from cob
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, washed and sliced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes , washed, sliced in half
- 2 eggs , hard-boiled, sliced in half
- ¼ cup pickled onions
- 2 tablespoons scallion, chopped
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese , sliced into wedges
- salt and pepper, to taste
Cilantro Lime Dressing
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2-3 medium jalapeños, cut your jalapeños length-wise and remove seeds for a less spicy dressing.
- ¼ cup lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 cups cilantro , de-stemmed and packed in the measuring cup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- grill or skillet for the chicken and sausage
- grill for corn
- Preheat your gas grill to 400 degrees.
Prepare the dressing:
- Grab your food processor and add the cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno, garlic, honey, Dijon mustard and salt. Buzz well.
- Slowly and carefully add the olive oil to the cilantro lime mixture while it is blending. Once it is smooth and free of lumps pour it into a container and set it aside.
Grill your meat and corn:
- Add the chicken breast, chicken sausages, and two ears of corn to the grill. The chicken breast will need to cook for 6-7 minutes per side, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. The chicken sausage is already cooked, so it will just need to heat through. You will want the chicken sausage to brown a bit. Takes about 10 minutes Finally, the corn will need to also cook for about 10 minutes, turning frequently. Remove all of these items from your grill, and turn off the grill.
Assemble the salad:
- Add your roughly chopped romaine lettuce to the bottom of the platter.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in columns over the lettuce, starting from left to right.
- First, add the sliced avocado,Next, add the grilled corn kernels. Make sure they are cool so they do not wilt the lettuce.
- Next, you’ll add a row of fresh sliced tomatoes. Both the heirloom tomatoes slices along with the cherry tomatoes cut in half. Option to drizzle a touch of balsamic and a pinch of salt on the tomatoes for extra flavor.
- Then, add the hard-boiled eggs cut in half.
- Next, slice the chicken breast into slices and add it to the salad. Make sure the chicken is not hot or it will wilt the lettuce. Then, add the grilled chicken sausages. Drizzle the chicken breast slices and chicken sausage with the cilantro lime dressing. Reserve some of the dressing on the side for anyone who may want more.
- Next, add sliced cheddar cheese wedges. You can also use blue cheese if you prefer.
- Add a few quick pickled onions and sliced jalapeños. Season with salt and pepper.