There is nothing more comforting than a bowl of hot, creamy tomato soup. And if you’ve been looking for the perfect recipe, you do not need to look any further.
This recipe is creamy, delicious, and easy to make. If you thought it couldn’t get any better, I packed it with fluffy potato gnocchi. (insert drool face) Oh and this soup is finished it with a drizzle of homemade basil infused oil. Can you think of a better tasting combo, because I cannot!
Classic Tomato Soup with Gnocchi
- pasta pot
- saute pan
- food processor
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 large Vidalia onion
- 1 bay leaf
- healthy pinch of salt
- healthy pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 28 ounces crushed tomato
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 package potato gnocchi
- ¼ cup olive oil
- handful of fresh basil
- salt and white pepper
- In a large sauté pan, over medium heat add the butter and olive oil.
- Boil a pot of water. Add salt and cook your gnocchi according to the package. Once fully cooked drain, drizzle with olive oil and set the gnocchi aside.
- Dice the onion and add it to the pan along with your garlic paste, bay leaf, salt, white pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir well.
- Sweat ingredients together until the onion is translucent. (10 – 15 minutes)
- Add 1 cup of chicken stock and let everything simmer together.
- Add crushed tomatoes and stir well. Simmer.
- Remove the bay leaf and add everything to a blender. Buzz until all ingredients are smooth, no pieces.
- Pour soup back into the pan and add in the cream. Stir well.
- Grab your food processor and combine the fresh basil, olive oil, salt and pepper. Buzz it together until well blended. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Add the gnocchi right before you serve the soup. This way the gnocchi will not expand too much in the soup. Finish with a drizzle of basil oil and serve!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!