Homemade Tomato Soup with Gnocchi
There is nothing more comforting than a bowl of hot, creamy tomato soup. In my opinion, tomato soup is such a classic recipe. There is something about it that is cozy and completely satisfying. This homemade tomato soup with gnocchi recipe is no exception.
About this recipe
This homemade tomato soup recipe is creamy, delicious, and easy to make. If you thought it couldn’t get any better, this dish is packed full with fluffy potato gnocchi. The gnocchi add that certain something that is hard to resist. For this recipe, I used store-bought gnocchi. My preferred brand is Delallo Foods potato gnocchi. They cook up very quickly and have the perfect pillowy texture.
As a finishing touch, I drizzled homemade basil infused oil over the top of the soup. The basil flavor tastes so delicious with the creamy tomatoes and gnocchi. It’s almost like a deconstructed caprese salad. This tomato basil soup recipe packs in the flavor. To make the basil oil, simply combine fresh basil, olive oil, salt and pepper in the food processor and buzz it until it is well combined.
Enjoy this soup with some buttered french bread or homemade garlic knots for the ultimate lunch. Can you think of a better tasting combo, because I cannot.
Store any leftover tomato basil soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. To reheat, simply microwave the soup in a microwave safe container until it is heated through.
Classic Tomato Soup with Gnocchi
- 1 package potato gnocchi, I use Delallo brand
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic , minced – about two cloves
- 1 large sweet onion, diced, about 1 cup
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 28 ounce can crushed tomato , with juice
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, or coconut milk
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch pepper
- pasta pot
- saute pan
- food processor
Prepare the gnocchi:
- Boil a pot of water. Add salt and cook your gnocchi according to the package. Once fully cooked drain the water using a colander. Drizzle the gnocchi with olive oil and set them aside.
Prepare the soup:
- In a large soup pot, over medium heat add the butter and olive oil.
- Dice the onion and add it to the pot along with your minced garlic, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir well.
- Sweat until the onions turn translucent and are lightly browned. About 10 minutes.
- Next, you will deglaze the pan by adding, 1 cup of chicken stock. Make sure to scrape up any crispy bits from the bottom of the pot. Let everything simmer. Stir well.
- Add the crushed tomatoes with the juice and stir well.
- Remove the bay leaf and add everything to a blender. Buzz until all ingredients are smooth, and creamy, no lumps.
- Pour the soup back into the pot and add the cream. Stir well. Simmer over low heat until you are ready to serve.
Prepare the basil oil:
- Grab your food processor and combine the fresh basil, olive oil, salt and pepper. Buzz it together until well blended. Set aside until ready to serve.
Assemble the dish:
- Add the gnocchi to the bowl right before you serve the soup. This way the gnocchi will not absorb too much of the soup. Finish with a drizzle of basil oil and serve!