Citrus season is upon us and it’s only right to feature these beautiful fruits in the tastiest way possible. Which is inside Healthyish Brand mini-cakes of course! Not only can you get in a healthy dose of vitamin C, but you can also curb your sweet tooth at the same time.
These mini upside-down citrus cakes are super easy to bake and packed with flavor. Our lemon cake mix and mellow yellow cake mix both work really well with this recipe. In fact, both of those cake mixes are made with organic turmeric which also has some incredible health benefits on its own. In my opinion, pairing these perfectly portioned, organic mixes with fresh citrus makes these mini desserts way more “healthy” than “ish”. So, let’s get started,
*For this recipe I used honey and cinnamon but you can use brown sugar and butter if you prefer.
What You’ll Need – Serves 1
1 Blood Orange or Lemon
1 Pouch of Healthyish Lemon Cake Mix
1 Tablespoon melted unsalted butter
2 Tablespoon 2%milk
1.5 Teaspoons Honey
Sprinkle of Cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grab a small mixing bowl and mix together the unsalted butter, milk, and tangy lemon cake mix from your Healthyish baking kit.
- Spray your paper baking cup with non-stick spray. (they come inside of the baking kit)
- Lightly drizzle your honey and cinnamon on the bottom of the baking cup.
- Cut down your blood orange into thin slices. Remove the peel from the fruit.
- Place one slice of orange on the bottom of the baking cup but on top of the honey and cinnamon.
- Evenly spread your Healthyish cake batter on top of the orange slice.
- Bake at 350 for 12 – 14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Once fully baked, remove the mini cake from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Once cool, flip it over onto a beautiful plate and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer, fitness junkie and owner of the Healthyish brand. She loves taking everyday eats and making them Healthyish. Sarah defines being Healthyish as a lifestyle centered around living light, fit and fun with a healthy dose of “ISH” from time to time. Sarah’s work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital). Sarah lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!