Chicken Piccata is one of those dishes that looks really complicated to make but is actually super easy. And what I love most about this dish is that you can really make it your own.
Personally, I’ve been using the same Healthyish Chicken Piccata recipe for over ten years. And I can honestly say that people always come back for more. I think the key to a great piccata is a thin pan sauce. Not only does a thin pan sauce help keep the dish feeling lighter, it is great for dipping too.
So Let’s get started!
What You’ll Need – Serves 2
1.5 cups chicken stock
1 ripe lemon
4 – 5 tablespoons of butter
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 – 2 eggs
5 tablespoons milk
1 cup of flour
2 chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Grab a large sauté pan and add your olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter. Keep over medium / low heat until you are ready to add your chicken. You do not want the butter to burn in the pan.
- Grab one large Ziploc bag, and two plates.
- Add the flour, salt and pepper to the Ziploc bag. Set aside.
- Beat together your egg and milk mixture. Pour this mixture on one of your plates.
- Mix together your parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs and pour that on the second plate. I use store-bought breadcrumbs, but you can use homemade if you prefer.
- Now clean your chicken breasts. If they are really thick you might want to consider cutting them in half.
- Once the chicken is ready add the breasts to the Ziploc bag. Pound the chicken until it is thin and tender.
- Next, you are going to take one piece of chicken at a time, dipping each piece in the egg mixture and then coating them in the breadcrumb mixture. Be sure to coat all sides of the chicken.
- Once all of the chicken is ready, you can turn the heat up on your saute pan to medium high and add the chicken breasts into the pan.
- Lightly fry on both sides until the chicken is golden brown.
- From there you are going to remove the chicken from the pan and add it to an oven safe pan and finish it off in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes. (depending on the thickness of your chicken)
- While the chicken is in the oven you are going to add chicken stock, juice from one lemon and 2-3 more tablespoons of butter to the sauté pan. Stir this well and be sure to scrap up all of the pan drippings from the chicken. This will give your sauce a huge amount of flavor.
- Finally, you will add in your capers and thyme.
Let the sauce reduce over medium heat until it is to your preferred thickness. I like a thinner sauce but it really is whatever you like. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve!
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Welcome to the Healthyish Foods Blog. We’re glad you’re here! The purpose of this blog is to provide you with tips and reccomendations on how to live a Healthyish life! We will also provide you with recipes and ideas on ways that you can use your DIY organic baking kits at home.