Chicken Piccata is one of those dishes that looks really complicated to make but is actually super easy. And what I love most about this dish is that you can really make it your own.
Personally, I’ve been using the same Healthyish Chicken Piccata recipe for over ten years. And I can honestly say that people always come back for more. I think the key to a great piccata is a thin pan sauce. Not only does a thin pan sauce help keep the dish feeling light, it is great for dipping too.
So Let’s get started!
What You’ll Need – Serves 2
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- 1 ripe lemon
- 4 – 5 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Grab a large sauté pan and add your olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter. Keep over medium / low heat until you are ready to add your chicken. You do not want the butter to burn in the pan.
- Grab one large Ziploc bag, and two plates.
- Add the flour, salt and pepper to the Ziploc bag. Set aside.
- Whisk together your egg and milk. Pour this mixture on one of your plates.
- Next, you will mix together the parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs and pour that mixture on the second plate. (I use store-bought breadcrumbs, but you can use homemade if you prefer.)
- Then, you’ll pound thin your chicken breasts using a mallet. If they are really thick you might want to consider cutting them in half.
- Once the chicken is ready add the breasts to the Ziploc bag. Toss with the flour mixture.
- Once all of the chicken has been dusted in flour, you will dredge it through the egg wash and then through the breadcrumbs.
- Increase heat on the saute pan to medium-high and add the chicken breasts into the pan.
- Lightly pan fry the chicken on both sides until it is golden brown.
- From there you are going to remove the chicken from the pan and add it to an oven-safe baking dish.
- Finish cooking the chicken in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes. (depending on the thickness of your chicken)
- While the chicken is in the oven you are going to add chicken stock, lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of butter to the sauté pan. Add in 2 teaspoons of capers, and 1-2 springs of fresh thyme.
- Stir this well and be sure to scrape up all of the pan drippings from the chicken. This will give your sauce a huge amount of flavor.
- Let the sauce reduce over medium heat in the saute pan.
- Once the chicken is full cooked, you can pour the sauce over the chicken or serve it on the side.
- To finish, top the dish with freshly chopped parsley and enjoy.
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!