Chicken Apple Sliders
Brighten up your week with these chicken apple sliders. They are juicy, tender, and loaded with flavor. Topped with caramelized onions, tart green apple and melty cheddar cheese, these sliders are the perfect way to kickoff Spring. Perfect for brunch or as a fun after school snack, these mini burgers are guaranteed to be a family favorite.
For this recipe, I ground 1lb. of Smart Chicken’s chicken breasts in a food processor to make ground chicken. This technique is perfect for making ground chicken in a pinch. That said, if your local grocer carries their pre-packaged ground chicken, that will work well too.
I know I have said it a million times, but I am obsessed with Smart Chicken’s products. In fact, I did not eat meat for 9 years until learning more about this company and deciding to give their chicken a try.
As background, their chickens are fed a high-quality diet, humanely handled, and never given antibiotics, hormones, or animal by-products. Smart Chicken is 100% pure air chilled, without added water. The result is the best-tasting, highest-quality fresh chicken on the market.
I use Smart Chicken for all of my recipes. It’s slightly pricier, but it’s absolutely worth every penny. You can feel good knowing you are feeding your family a healthy and safe product that is good for them and the environment. So, give these delicious chicken apple sliders a try!
Looking for more delicious chicken recipes? Try my one pan chicken cacciatore or my spinach and artichoke bake with chicken meatballs.
Chicken Apple Sliders
Chicken Apple Sliders
- 1 lb. ground chicken , Smart Chicken brand
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 large green apple, peel the skin, grate the apple, and then press out any moisture using a paper towel.
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Few turns of cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable oil , for shallow frying the sliders
Buns, Caramelized Onions, and Toppings
- 12 King’s Hawaiian potato rolls , sliced in half
- ¼ cup salted butter , used to toast the buns
- 2 large white onions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons red wine , I used cabernet sauvignon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 green apple for garnish, sliced thin
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- three 11-inch skillets
- 9×13-inch ceramic baking dish
- large mixing bowl
- baking tray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grab an 9×11-inch baking dish and gently spray it with cooking spray. Set it aside.
Prepare the caramelized onions:
- Gently spray and 11-inch skillet with cooking spray. Over medium heat add the sliced onions and allow them to sweat in the pan. Stir frequently.
- Once the onions are translucent and begin to brown, add the red wine and a pinch of salt. Stir well and simmer over medium low heat until they are dark in color and well caramelized. Set aside.
Prepare the chicken sliders:
- Peel the green apple an grate it into small pieces. Using a paper towel, squeeze out all excess moisture. Set the pressed apple aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, panko breadcrumbs, grated parmesan cheese, 1 large egg, 2% milk, spices, and the pressed green apples. Mix well and form sliders.
- I was able to get 14 slider patties from my mixture. This will vary depending on how large you want your sliders to be.
- Grab an 11-inch skillet and add the vegetable oil.
- Once the oil is hot, but not smoking, you can begin to sear the sliders on the outside. I cooked mine over medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Once all of the sliders are golden brown, add them to the prepared baking dish.
- Top them with cheddar cheese and cover with foil.
- Cook the sliders for 20-25 minutes or until they are fully cooked through. Cooking time will vary based on the size of your sliders.
Prepare the buns:
- While the sliders are cooking in the oven, heat a large skillet over medium / low heat.
- Smear the butter on the inside of the potato rolls.
- Place the rolls butter side down on the pan allowing them to get golden-brown and toasted.
- Once they have a golden-brown color, remove them from the pan and set them aside.
Assemble the sliders:
- Place the toasted buns on a baking tray. Add one chicken slider per roll. Top the slider with some of the caramelized onions, sliced green apple and the top of the roll. Serve warm.
- You can also add them back into the baking dish and warm them in the oven.