Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry
Need a quick and healthy dinner? Try my chicken broccoli stir fry with spicy brown sauce. It’s made from a few simple, healthy ingredients and comes together in under 30 minutes. This easy chicken dinner is perfect for nights when you want something hot and delicious but don’t have a ton of time. As an added bonus, you only need one pan too.
About this Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry
Enjoy this chicken broccoli stir fry recipe with a side of white rice or noodles. Rice noodles cook very quickly, so they would be a great option if you’re short on time. White rice takes longer to cook, but both options will offer you a well-balanced meal.
When prepping the chicken, be sure to slice the chicken into thin strips. You’ll want them to be about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Toss the strips in the cornstarch mixture until they are well coated. Do not let the chicken rest in the cornstarch for too long or it will get thick and pasty. Be sure to shake off any excess cornstarch before adding the chicken to the pan. Thin strips will allow the chicken to cook more quickly and get crispy on the outside. Be sure the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure doneness.
If you like soft broccoli, I’d suggest boiling a pot of water and cooking the florets separately for a few minutes to soften them. The broccoli in this recipe is slightly firm when you bite into it.
Make it Vegan
Swap the chicken for tofu and this dish is vegetarian. If you also swap the chicken stock for vegetable stock, then this dish is completely vegan. What’s great, is that you can really make this recipe your own. This recipe makes two dinner servings or four light dinner servings. Please see below for nutritional information.
Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry:
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces broccoli florets, rinsed
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
Spicy brown sauce:
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, peel and mince
- 1 cup chicken stock, divided
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- red pepper flakes
- toasted sesame seeds
- sliced scallions
- 11-inch skillet
- mixing bowl
- Mince the garlic and fresh ginger. Be sure to remove the skin from the ginger before mincing it.
- Add the garlic and fresh ginger into an 11-inch skillet with sesame oil. Simmer over medium / low heat until the garlic and ginger are lightly browned and fragrant.
- While the garlic and ginger are simmering, slice your chicken breasts.
- Grab a small mixing bowl, combine the cornstarch, salt and black pepper. Stir well.
- Toss the sliced chicken in the bowl, making sure to coat each piece with the cornstarch mixture.
- Next, shake off any excess cornstarch and add the chicken to the pan.
- Once the chicken begins to sear and brown on both sides, deglaze the pan with ½ cup of chicken stock.
- Make sure to scrape all of the little pieces off of the bottom of the pan.
- Once the chicken stock begins to reduce, add the soy sauce, brown sugar, and remaining ½ cup of chicken stock. Stir well. Let the chicken pieces cook in the sauce for 5-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the mushrooms and broccoli florets.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes until the broccoli is slightly softened and everything is well coated in the sauce. I like my broccoli firm, but for soft broccoli, boil water and cook the broccoli for a few minutes in the hot water before adding it to the dish. Be sure to drain any water before adding it to the rest of the dish.
- Top with your favorite garnishes and serve hot!