Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry
Need a quick, delicious dinner? Try my chicken broccoli stir fry with spicy brown sauce. It’s made from simple, healthy ingredients and comes together in under 30 minutes. This easy chicken dinner is perfect for nights when you want something hot and delicious but don’t have a ton of time. As an added bonus, you only need one pan too.
About this Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry
Enjoy this chicken broccoli stir fry recipe with a side of white rice or rice noodles. Rice noodles cook very quickly, so they would be a great option if you’re short on time. White rice takes longer to cook, but both options will offer you a well-balanced meal.
When prepping the chicken, be sure to slice the chicken into thin strips. You’ll want them to be about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. It is easier to cut thin strips when the chicken is still slightly frozen.
Toss the strips in the cornstarch mixture until they are well coated. Do not let the chicken rest in the cornstarch for too long or it will get thick and pasty. Be sure to shake off any excess cornstarch before adding the chicken to the pan.
Thin strips will allow the chicken to cook more quickly and get crispy on the outside. Be sure the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure doneness.
If you like soft broccoli, I’d suggest boiling a pot of water and cooking the florets separately for a few minutes to soften them. The broccoli in this recipe is slightly firm when you bite into it.
Make it Vegan
Swap the chicken for tofu and this dish is vegetarian. If you also swap the chicken stock for vegetable stock, then this dish is completely vegan. What’s great, is that you can really make this recipe your own. This recipe makes two dinner servings or four light dinner servings. Please see below for nutritional information.
Looking for more chicken dinner recipes? Try my Greek chicken meatballs or my stovetop buffalo macaroni and cheese. Both a delicious and satisfying.
Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry:
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil , or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, peel and mince
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips, tossed with cornstarch mixture
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup chicken broth, deglaze the pan
- 4 ounces broccoli florets, rinsed, chopped small
Spicy brown sauce:
- ¼ cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ¼-½ cup chicken broth
- red pepper flakes
- toasted sesame seeds
- sliced scallions
- 1 11-inch non-stick skillet
- 1 mixing bowl
- In a small bowl, combine the stir fry sauce. Which includes, low sodium soy sauce, rice vinegar, light brown sugar, sesame oil, and chicken broth. Stir well set aside.
- Thinly slice the chicken breasts and set it aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cornstarch, salt and black pepper. Mix well and set it aside.
- Mince the garlic and fresh ginger. Be sure to remove the skin from the ginger before mincing it.
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add the avocado oil, minced garlic and ginger. Saute until the garlic and ginger are lightly browned and fragrant.
- While the garlic and ginger are simmering, prepare the chicken.
- Toss the sliced chicken in the bowl with the cornstarch, salt, and black pepper. Make sure to coat each piece with the cornstarch mixture.
- Next, shake off any excess cornstarch and add the chicken to the pan with the garlic and ginger.
- Once the chicken is lightly browned on both sides, and cooked through, deglaze the pan with ½ cup of chicken stock. Let it simmer. The cornstarch on the chicken will help thicken the sauce.
- Make sure to scrape all of the little pieces off of the bottom of the pan.
- Once the chicken stock begins to reduce in the pan, add the stir fry sauce and stir well. Let the chicken pieces cook in the sauce for 3-4 more minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add broccoli florets.
- Simmer for 5-8 minutes until the broccoli is slightly softened and everything is well coated in the sauce. I like my broccoli firm, but for softer broccoli, boil water and cook the broccoli for a few minutes in the hot water before adding it to the dish. Be sure to strain off any water before adding it to the rest of the dish.
- Top with your favorite garnishes and serve hot!
4 Comments on “Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry”
This was so good. It was easy to make and I followed the recipe instructions without any modifications. The only issue I ran into was with the crust on the chicken. Once I added the stock, soy, etc., it got a bit mushy. I paired it with brown rice and was delicious.
This was amazing! My family loved it and my girls went back for seconds????????I paired with brown rice as well!
So simple and delicious. I follow the recipe and added some sliced carrots and cashews. A family favorite!
So good, my kids had seconds!