Chicken Cordon Bleu is traditionally meat wrapped around cheese and then pan or deep fried. But today we are riffing on this old Swiss recipe and making it Healthyish style!
We removed the ham, and replaced it with light and healthy spinach. Next, we baked our chicken instead of frying it. Finally, we added a delicious compote and fresh herbs to really brighten the entire dish.
So, let’s get started.
Fun Fact: Blackberries are a great source of Vitamin A, Vitamin K and free-radical fighting antioxidants.
What You’ll Need: Makes 4 light servings
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh thyme
Blackberry Compote: Add all of these ingredients to a small sauce pan and cook over high heat until the berries begin to break down. (roughly 5 minutes). Reduce heat and let everything simmer for an additional few minutes. Be sure to continuously stir the mixture to prevent burning or overcooking. When ready, turn off heat and set aside.
- 12 oz of Blackberries
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pound chicken breasts to 1/4 inch thickness. Might help if you butterfly them first.
- Sprinkle each piece of chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 slice of brie cheese and a handful of spinach on top of each breast. Roll up each breast, and secure with a toothpick.
- Place in baking dish, and sprinkle chicken evenly with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove from oven, and spoon some of the blackberry compote on top of each breast.
- Chop up the fresh thyme and add on top of the entire dish.
Remove toothpicks, and serve immediately.
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughWelcome to Healthyish! I am so glad you’re here. Together we will reinvent classic recipes and make them Healthyish. Which means they’ll include light, healthy and clean ingredients that your body will crave (with the occasional ISH). I will also be sharing some fitness and self-care tips for beginners. So, let’s get started! XOXO