Cheesy Spinach Balls
Looking for a crowd-pleasing appetizer? Try my tasty cheesy spinach balls. Easy to share and loaded with delicious flavors, this appetizer is guaranteed to be a winner. After all, who doesn’t love biting into a warm ball of homemade cheesy goodness? Loaded with homemade breadcrumbs, spices, spinach and cheese this is the ultimate appetizer.
What I love about this recipe is that you can make these cheesy spinach balls ahead of time and store them covered in the refrigerator. Simply heat the oven to 350 degrees and bake them for 20 minutes before serving. They get a perfectly crispy outside with a soft flavorful center. Best served warm. Even your veggies hating family members will find a soft spot in their heart for these delicious balls.
Cheesy Spinach Balls
- 1 package King’s Hawaiian sweet rolls, 12 rolls
- 16 ounces fresh baby spinach , you can also use frozen
- 1 large onion diced , about 1 cup
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, whisked
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1+¼ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 baking trays
- 2 mixing bowls
- saute pan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare the breadcrumbs:
- Tear the sweet rolls into small pieces using your hands. You’ll want each bread cube / piece to be about the size of a dime. Add them to a baking tray.
- Toast the bread cubes in the oven for 20 minutes, making sure to toss them halfway through.
- Remove the bread cubes and set them aside to cool.
Prepare the spinach:
- Sauté your spinach in a pan until it is soft and wilted. Press out all of the moisture using a cheesecloth or paper towel.
- Once all the moisture is removed, add the spinach to the food processor. Chop it into small pieces. The spinach will almost look like a paste, but it is just chopped small. Don’t worry.
- Remove it from the food processor and set it aside.
Prepare the onion:
- Gently spray a small skillet with cooking spray. Add the butter, diced onion, garlic powder, and salt. Simmer over medium low heat until the onions are translucent, NOT BROWN. Remove from heat and let this completely cool.
Prepare the egg mixture:
- In a small mixing bowl combine the eggs and chicken broth. Whisk until well combined. Set aside.
Assemble the dish:
- In a large mixing bowl combine the breadcrumbs, spinach, parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Toss well making sure the spinach begins to break up.
- Next, add the cooled onion mixture. Toss well.
- Finally, add the egg mixture and toss until everything is well combined.
- Grab another baking tray and spray it with cooking spray. You can also line it with parchment paper if that’s easier.
- Form the mixture into balls, and line the baking tray. I was able to get 24 medium sized balls.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes making sure to turn them halfway through.
- Serve warm and enjoy!