Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole
This cheesy broccoli and rice casserole is so delicious. The cheese sauce is velvety smooth and really pulls the entire dish together. Perfect for weeknights when you need a quick and tasty side dish. You make can this recipe ahead of time and use it through the week. Plus, this recipe only takes 40 minutes to make. I can guarantee your family and kids will fall in love with this dish. Loaded with broccoli, it’s a win for everyone!
About this recipe
This cheesy broccoli and rice casserole recipe is the ultimate comfort food. Easy to make, this recipe is perfect any night of the week. When preparing the rice, you will need about 2 cups of cooked white rice. This is roughly 3/4 cup of dry rice ( maybe a touch more). You can cook the rice according to the instructions on the box. However, I cheated and used Minute Rice cups. Four of the minute rice cups gives you the perfect amount of rice for this recipe. You simply microwave them for 1 minute each, and they are ready.
For an extra punch of protein, try adding cubed or shredded chicken breasts. You can also serve this side dish with my Crockpot chicken thighs. The juicy gravy from the chicken thighs tastes so good with the creamy cheesy rice.
Store this dish covered in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, simple place a small amount in a microwave save bowl. Serve hot and enjoy. Looking for more tasty side dish recipe? Try my miso butter sweet potatoes or my easy orzo and rice recipe. It’s so delicious!
Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- 2 cups cooked white rice; about 3/4 cup dry rice , you can also use 4 Minute Rice cups, they are about 4 ounces each.
- 12 ounces cooked broccoli , the bag of broccoli I bought was 12 ounces and could be micowaved to cook.
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons AP flour, all purpose
- 1.5 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces Velvetta cheese , cubed into smaller pieces for easy melting
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella , and a little extra for the top
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- mixing bowl
- saute pan with sides
- 8×8 ceramic baking dish
- whisk and spatula
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Roughly chop 12 ounces of cooked broccoli. I used a bag of broccoli and cooked it in the microwave, but you can boil it in a pot of hot water as well. Just be sure to drain off any excess water before adding it to your mixing bowl.
- Cook 16 ounces of white rice. I used 4 of the “Minute Rice” microwavable single serving cups. It tastes good and is quick way to get the rice ready. You can also boil your own.
- Add the cooked rice to the mixing bowl with the chopped broccoli. Season with the salt and gently toss the ingredients together. Set aside.
Prepare the cheese sauce:
- In a saucepan add the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and stir to form a roux.
- When the flour begins to bubble, slowly add in the 2% milk. Whisk to combine.
- Once all of the milk is added and the sauce is creamy, add the Dijon mustard, Velveeta and mozzarella cheese, and black pepper. Blend well using a whisk or spatula.
- Once the cheese sauce is melted, you can pour the mixture over the rice and broccoli.
- Using a spatula, gently toss all of the ingredients together in the mixing bowl making sure the rice and broccoli are well coated in the cheese sauce.
- Pour the mixture into your baking dish. Top with a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 16-18 minutes. Remove the foil and broil for 2-3 minutes so the cheese on top gets slightly crispy.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- To reheat this dish, simply add some chicken stock to a pan and add in a few scoops of the cheesy rice. The chicken stock will help reconstitute the rice and make it creamy again.