This is the BEST cheesy broccoli and rice recipe of all time. The cheese sauce is velvety smooth and really pulls the entire dish together. Serve this delicious side dish with my Crock Pot Chicken Thighs and your family is in for a delicious meal at home.
I love this recipe so much because it is the ultimate comfort food. Cheesy, creamy and easy to make, this recipe is perfect any night of the week. For an extra punch of protein, try adding some cubed or shredded chicken.
Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- mixing bowl
- saute pan with sides
- 8×8 baking dish
- whisk and spatula
- 16 ounces cooked white rice I used 4 Minute Rice cups, they are about 4 ounces each.
- 12 ounces cooked broccoli the bag of broccoli I bought was 12 ounces and could be micowaved to cook.
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons AP wheat flour
- 1.5 cups 2% milk room temp milk works best.
- 8 ounces velvetta cheese cubed into smaller pieces for easy melting
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella and a little extra for the top
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Roughly chop 12 ounces of cooked broccoli. I used a bag of broccoli and cooked it in the microwave, but you can boil it in a pot of hot water as well. Just be sure to drain off any excess water before adding it to your mixing bowl.
- Cook 16 ounces of white rice. I used 4 of the “Minute Rice” microwavable single serving cups. It tastes good and is quick way to get the rice ready.
- Add the cooked rice to the mixing bowl with the chopped broccoli. Season with the salt and gently toss the ingredients together. Set aside.
- Next, you will prepare the cheese sauce:
- In a sauté pan with sides, add the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the flour to form a roux.
- When the flour begins to bubble, slowly add in the 2% milk. Whisk to combine.
- Once all of the milk is added and the sauce is creamy, add the Dijon mustard, Velveeta and mozzarella cheese, and black pepper. Blend well using a whisk or spatula.
- Once the cheese sauce is melted you can pour the mixture over the rice and broccoli.
- Using a spatula, gently toss all of the ingredients together in the mixing bowl making sure the rice and broccoli are well coated in the cheese sauce.
- Pour the mixture into your baking dish. Top with a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 18 minutes. Remove the foil and broil for 2-3 minutes so the cheese on top gets slightly crispy.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- To reheat this dish, simply add some chicken stock to a pan and add in a few scoops of the cheesy rice. The chicken stock will help reconstitute the rice and make it creamy again.
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!