Caprese Pasta with Pan Roasted Chicken
Looking for a delicious and easy to make meal? Try my caprese pasta with pan roasted chicken. This recipe is a Healthyish twist on a traditional caprese salad. I wanted to make this light Summer caprese salad more of a satisfying meal. So, I added tasty pan roasted Smart Chicken breasts, cooked shellbow pasta, a delicious yet simple red sauce and mozzarella pearls. This entire dish comes together in 35-40 minutes. Making this a quick and delicious dinner any night of the week.
About this recipe
Traditional caprese salad is made from thick sliced tomatoes, sliced mozzarella cheese, fresh basil leaves, olive oil and balsamic glaze. For this recipe, you’ll start by pan roasting two Smart Chicken breasts. I’m obsessed with all of Smart Chicken’s products and their chicken breasts are no exception.
In fact, all of their chickens are fed a high-quality diet, humanely handled, and never given antibiotics, hormones, or animal by-products. Everything is pure air chilled, without added water. The result is the best-tasting, highest-quality fresh chicken. When cooked, the chicken breast meat is so tender and juicy you can really taste the difference in quality.
Next, you’ll make a quick and tasty homemade red sauce using the same pan the chicken was roasted in. This way, you will get all of the tasty juices from the chicken in the sauce as well. Next, you’ll add the cooked pasta, and nestle the pan roasted chicken back into the pasta and sauce.
As a finishing touch, you will want to add a few mozzarella pearls on top of the dish. Simply place the entire dish under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to get the cheese extra melty and bubbly. Sprinkle with some fresh chopped basil and Italian parsley. Add a few turns of fresh cracked black pepper and red pepper flakes for a touch of spice. Serve this caprese pasta with pan roasted chicken with a side salad or some crusty bread to soak up any extra sauce. It’s absolutely delicious.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To reheat, simply microwave everything in a microwave safe dish. Or you can add a small amount of chicken bone broth to a hot pan and add a few scoops of the caprese pasta with roasted chicken. The bone broth will help soften or reconstitute the dish. It will taste amazing.
Caprese Pasta with Roasted Chicken
Chicken and Pasta
- 1 lb. Smart Chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces shellbow pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup diced shallots
- 1.5 teaspoons minced garlic
- 16 ounces cherry / grape tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 can crushed tomatoes – 28 ounce can with juice
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces mozzarella pearls
- Fresh basil
- Red pepper flakes
- Few turns cracked black pepper
- Reduced balsamic glaze
- pasta pot
- 3.5-quart sauteuse pan
Prepare the pasta:
- Boil a pot of water and cook the pasta according to the package. Al dente is best since the pasta will cook in the sauce.
- Drain the water using a colander and set the cooked pasta aside.
Prepare the chicken:
- Pull the chicken from the refrigerator and allow it to sit for 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Gently pound the chicken using a mallet so it is tender and cooks more evenly.
- Season the chicken with some salt.
- Next, grab a 3.5-quart non-stick sauteuse pan and add the olive oil over medium heat.
- Then, you’ll add the seasoned chicken breasts to the pan.
- Pan roast for 6-7 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pan and set them aside.
Prepare the red sauce:
- Using the same pan with the chicken drippings, add the butter, diced shallots, minced garlic, salt, oregano, and grape / cherry tomatoes. Stir well.
- Once the tomatoes begin to blister, add 1 can of crushed tomatoes, heavy cream, and red pepper flakes. Stir well. Simmer over medium low heat.
Assemble the dish:
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and toss until its well coated.
- Next, you will nestle the chicken breasts back into the pasta, along with any dripping they released while resting.
- Next, you will top the dish with some mozzarella pearls or shredded mozzarella.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Finish with cracked black pepper, fresh chopped basil, and fresh chopped Italian parsley.
- Serve hot!